- Lizzie = A funny, timely quote made on the VFTB site by our writers or commenters.
- Lizard = The best Lizzie.
- MVL = Most Valuable Lizzie’er: The person with the most Lizzies in the period under review (usually the past two weeks.)
- Top 10 of the 2015 Season = The folks with the most aggregate Lizzie points YTD (1 point for every Lizzie, 3 points for every Lizard.)
As you already know, this is all completely subjective and according to my whims.
- With 4 games left in the season, Kris Bryant is 10th in all of major league baseball in WAR
- The Cardinals clinched the NL Central yesterday. This is probably a good thing because I think they are much more beatable in the NLDS than Pittsburgh would be.
- In their wildest dreams, who would have thought the Cubs could win 95 games this year?
- Nice outing by Lester yesterday. No matter how you slice and dice it, we need this guy to come up big in October.
- Even if Arrieta doesn’t win the Cy Young, he still produced one of the best pitching seasons in Cubs history, and it was a pleasure to witness it.
- We will finish the regular season at least 30 games above .500 Wow.
- It’s the last day of the regular season, and I care.
- Anyone who doubted the Epstein plan should be looking for crow recipes.
- I will be bummed if Wednesday does not go as planned, but that does not change how much fun the ride has been this year.
- Regular season has been over for about 17 hours, and apparently there are not five things we need to know today.
- Apparently the 97 we already know are enough.
- I guess we will be getting 15 things to know about the playoff game tomorrow.
- I’d settle for a W and 20 things to know on Thursday.
- Now you’re mixing Math and Algebra.
- My nerves have been crazy for this one, but it is calming to realize that whatever happens tomorrow, they have already exceeded expectations. I think it also gets lost, with all the success of this year, that if this team matures as most young teams do, this offense will be downright scary for years to come.
- I thought a season like this was essentially impossible in 2015.
- It’s October 7th and the first thing on our minds is the Cubs.
- At least Rodriguez finally got to hit something…the water cooler.
- Same number of wins – only we keep going
- Equally 98 wins, and equally 1 fewer pitchers HPB out of spite.. go Cubs!
- Let’s go kick the shit out of the Cardinals
- we have what it takes to take those dirty birds out. The Cardinals are nervous.
- Even as the Cubs tacked on a fourth run on Fowler’s solo shot in the fifth inning, I still felt like I couldn’t exhale until the final out of the ninth inning.
- I’m opposed to the whole idea of throwing at a player in general, but especially not at the pitcher. It felt like a move by a team that knew they were done, and they were just reaching for anything to make themselves feel better.
- After a quick run-down of the implications of the WC game, Mrs. Swanson designated ‘elsewhere’ and ‘garage’ as possible viewing venues. Gesture of kindness.. no kids. I chose the later. Four-run lead so the littlest and I watched a few innings in the La-Z-Boy before her bedtime. It was the right choice for sure.
- It doesn’t help Rizzo when LaStella bats behind him.
- David Ross must have black mail pictures on Maddon
- Last night the Cubs hitters from 3-6 were Kris Bryant, Anthony Rizzo, Starlin Castro, and Chris Coghlan. They combined for an 0-for-13 night with 5 K’s and 2 double plays. Not a single one reached base.
- We’ve been Cub fans long enough to know that no amount of optimism can erase the worry in the back of our minds. A win today will change that.
- I will admit my obvious bias here and say that if this were any other team in baseball, I’d be more inclined to believe it, but after Cardinals starter Jaime Garcia left the game yesterday, news slowly came out that he had apparently been suffering from a “stomach ailment.”
- mega props to Sherm for getting Soler in there.
- Watching them throw the ball all over the field and Molina not back up the play was most enjoyable and rewarding.
- Maybe if Ross played first base when Lester pitched, he could throw there.
- I prefer Wood, Travis not Seymours blue pill kind.
- Not my pill…I just write your Rx.
- CUBS WIN! even sweeter because I didn’t have to stay up late to see it happen!
- So happy. Wish we could all hug it out..
- Cubs- it means a baby Bear, a young Bear. Maybe the formula all along was to have a group of young talented players to naive to know they aren’t suppose to win.
- I would really like to see Ross get a big hit at some point.
- We all would.
- Whatever does happen in the NLCS and going forward from there, I think something very important for the future of the Cubs happened in the NLDS: They beat St. Louis.
- I didn’t feel like Lester pitched bad, but when you’re being called on to get a win, you have to pitch better.
- The offense appeared to have NO game plan whatsoever. Swung at too many first pitches early and which kept Harvey’s pitch count low, and then later in the game when he was throwing EVERYONE a first pitch fastball…they’re taking.
- This team has had streaks of good and bad all year long…unfortunately, we’ve hit a bad streak at the wrong time.
- Let’s all mentally hold hands and say a prayer…
- I don’t know if the Cubs will lose this series. More than likely they will, but I do know this. I know I’ll be in front of my television tonight watching game 4 and cheering my heart out and you should to.
- Well Fuck!
- Big shout outs to everyone for all your input, thoughtful commentary, humor, and friendship. VFTB couldn’t exist without you. (Well it could, but Joe would be lonely!) Thanks for being here!
- Congratulations to Sherm, our Most Valuable Lizzie-er this time around! Way to go!
Final 2015 Season Standings (one point for each Lizzie, three points for the Lizard)
1. Eddie von White
2. Doc Raker
3. Seymour Butts
6. Joe Aiello
7. Doug S.
8. Jared Wyllys
14. Jerry in Wisconsin
15. cap’n realist
16. Sean Powell
17. Mark from Toronto
17. Nick Dorey
20. Alex Botts
22. King in the Nawth
24. Nate Head
25. Adam Peters
25. Common Sense
25. Douglas Bath
- So, that’s a wrap. It didn’t end the way we dreamed, yet at the same time it was so much better than we dreamed! We’re thinking of re-tooling the GirlieView in the off season to keep things interesting. Maybe every month instead of every other week. Maybe a limited number of Lizzies available for claiming each month, maybe unlimited (as current.) Maybe more than one Lizard. Do you have any ideas? What would you like to see? We’d love to hear your suggestions!