- Lizzie = A funny, timely quote made on the VFTB site by our writers or commenters.
- Lizard = The best Lizzie.
- MVL = Most Valuable Lizzie’er: The person with the most Lizzies in the period under review (usually the past two weeks.)
- Top 10 of the 2015 Off-Season = The folks with the most aggregate Lizzie points YTD (1 point for every Lizzie, 3 points for every Lizard.)
As you already know, this is all completely subjective and according to my whims.
- Montero as trade bait seems a little unlikely at present, of course a baseball season stretching over 2 calendar years also seems unlikely.
- Ross was the easiest out in the line up except for Jon Lester, all the other pitchers hit better than Ross.
- Can’t get enough of this blossoming friendship.
- I’ve fallen out of the top 10 leaderboard. Either my checks to Lizzie have been bouncing or it’s proof you actually have to comment once in a while to win a lizzie or two.
- This “Team of Zobrists” idea is not original to me (credit to Gunther Dabynsky for this), but I think it’s very much what we are seeing the philosophy of the team turn into, at least defensively.
- This is probably more amusing to me than it should be, but I am delighting more than a little bit in how much the Cardinals fans are sweating the Cubs.
- Merry Christmas, I hope no one bought the Cubs ugly sweater because it is really ugly.
- My bold prediction – in 35 starts, David Ross bats .455 with 21 homers and 77 RBI. He also spot-starts and throws a perfect game to newly re-acquired 48-year-old catcher Rick Wilkins, who was picked up after Montero went down with explosive diarrhea after binging on all-you-can-eat wings at Golden Corral. I figure the bolder, the better.
- No way Golden Coral is still offering all you can eat wings in 2016.
- I am still so broken up over the accusations against Tyler Teaparty that I can barely work today. Tanner Teapot was one of my favorite players, and for that Al Jazz-eared guy to say those things was off-putting, to say the least. How our heroes can fall. And I was hoping that Thurston Teesdale would catch on as Kyle Hendrick’s personal receiver.
- The fact that David Ross got so many starts hints at Teagen Taygarden’s value to the Cubs.
- David Ross homered as a pitcher this year…but NOT as a catcher.
- This moment makes the cut because I was at Wrigley to witness this game, and I can tell you, it was the most electric regular-season-in-negative-million-degrees-meaningless-game I’ve ever attended.
- Only went to two games this year. Saw Bryant’s first homer in Milwaukee and his scoreboard shot at Wrigley on my birthday. Good stuff.
- What I’ll miss about Castro is simply the child-like enjoyment he seemed to get from the game of baseball.
- Surprised nobody posted “Schlitter being sent to Iowa” in their top 5.
- Jake’s PJs were decorated with moustaches and he was happy to appear before the cameras decked out in his night wear. I guess the Cubs should have expected nothing less on that unusual night in an unusual season for an unusually talented pitcher.
- Steve Stone: Watching how the Houston Astros approached him that day, for one day in the life of Kerry Wood, he probably understood how it felt to be godly as far as a pitcher is concerned, because they didn’t touch the ball. They didn’t get close to another hit. It was impossible. Len Kasper: I really dig when Pete Townshend smashes his guitar while on stage.
- Maybe not making a move really isn’t a “move” but not making a move is certainly a DECISION…and it’s one I’m okay with at this point.
- This is must see baseball.
- I don’t know how many of you will take the time to read VFTB first thing in the morning on New Year’s Day, but I have to say how much I appreciate the people who take the time to read each post.
- We don’t always agree on things but no doubt the dialogue on VFTB is far more entertaining and informative then other places
- Baseball is cerebral, its played as much between the ears as it is with skill.
- There is no stat for a hitter that is absolutely intimidated by a pitcher who could tell him what he’s throwing and it wouldn’t matter, or a hitter who is so locked in that it won’t matter what is thrown, he’s going to hit it, and hard.
- It’s still the only sport I’m aware of where the defense controls the ball, and that makes it for me.
- Well I guess I’ll read this again.
- this year I’ll be headed to Mesa to partake in the spring training festivities for the first time, crossing something off my “baseball bucket list” that has been there for quite a while.
- Realized I left David Ross off of this hypothetical bench, so that makes things even more interesting.
- That’s the only bench he belongs on…other than maybe a park bench.
- My advice on Spring Training: Have a great time. I can’t imagine any destination more fun than Spring Training – especially this year with the Cubs.
- In all, it’s been a really, really nice December for Cubs fans.
- No one had their very first 2015 Off-Season Lizzie this time so let’s have a shout out for everyone! Thanks for being here!
- Congratulations to Jared Wyllys, our Most Valuable Lizzie-er this time! Way to go!
Top 10 of the 2015 Off-Season (one point for each Lizzie, three points for the Lizard)
3. Doc Raker
4. Doug S
6. Eddie von White
8. Seymour Butts
9. Nate Usher
10. Jerry in Wisconsin
10. Joe Aiello
10. Sean Powell
- It’s always difficult to think of things to chat about in mid-January. We’ve done a whole lot of “look back at last season” and “what to think about next season” posts so let’s talk about something fun. The PowerBall, as I write this, sits at $500 million. By the time you read this in the morning, you will know that you didn’t win the PowerBall and I will know that I didn’t either. But let’s pretend you did. What’s something fun you would do with the money?