- Lizzie = A funny, timely, and/or interesting quote made on the VFTB site by our writers or commenters.
- Lizard = The best Lizzie.
- MVL = Most Valuable Lizzie’er: The person with the most Lizzies in the period under review (usually the past two weeks.)
- Top 10 of the 2016 Season = The folks with the most aggregate Lizzie points YTD (1 point for every Lizzie, 3 points for every Lizard.)
As you already know, this is all completely subjective and according to my whims.
- I like the chit chat…reminds me of the old Saturday Night Live Coffee Talk segment…”I’ll give you a topic…Barry Foote was neither a berry, nor a foot…discuss.”
- Grape Nuts are neither grapes nor nuts.
- Testicles. Family blog.
- Malt balls are balls made of malt.
- I find MLB’s All-Star game to be a joke.
- Love to chit chat, just ask my wife. “Hi honey, I am home. Did you see the Cubs choke another one away today? First place my fanny. Can I pour you some Redbreast Irish over some rocks? We need Schwarbs honey, I am telling you” Wife- “I’ll take a double”
- Does she take a double because of the Cubs or because you’re home?
- Jon Lester is scheduled to make his last start before heading to San Diego this Saturday. Since his blankey is on the 7 day concussion DL, Lester will throw to Willson Contreras and NOT Miguel Montero. I can’t tell you enough how excited this makes me. The training wheels are off for Contreras and the Cubs are beginning to trust him over Montero.
- I’m pissed that we hit into 17 double plays. Okay, three, but whatever.
- Peeved – (family site).
- I’m a Willy fan. (and no, Seymour, that’s not a dick joke)
- Willy played hard?
- Batting down in the order is helping Heyward. Wish we’d have thought of that.
- It’s not fun to write about, and it’s certainly not fun to talk about, which is why Sherm sent me a text last night saying he couldn’t possibly write any thoughts for the post without cursing.
- 3 days in a row of letting that (insert family acceptable borderline profanity here) Sean Rodriguez hit HRs against us.
- our TV broadcasts are not very informative.I think the world of Pat Hughes on the radio-side,
- So for 2 innings they couldn’t understand why bAez just didn’t take the double play in front of him and then come to the conclusion that he is just smarter than everyone else. I wonder if they got call from Thed telling them that bAez is being marketed as a smart player so get with it.
- I hate Bryan Adams.
- I don’t know who Bryan Adams is.
- I love Bryan Adams
- we’ve seen two distinctly different teams this year. The great one and the really shitty one. I’d settle for a good one from this point forward.
- Hendricks (and I can’t believe I’m typing this) is the best pitcher of late because he’s executing his plan. If we hit the playoffs tomorrow? I think I’d start HIM.
- I’ve never been a Baez fan. I’ve always been a Soler fan, but now I am neither. Package them up and make a deal.
- Soler, unfortunately, is prone to injuries (I’ve never seen anyone out as long with a hamstring pull. Have you?) Baez is prone to stupid.
- When Eric Fryer was at bat Len said, “So if Fryer goes deep is it a Deep Fryer?” Seriously. Len said that. Probably waited all day
- Suffice it to say for now, that I am optimistic about this organization, this team and this particular squad. I plan to enjoy the rest of the season, starting with the All Star game tonight. But, as always, I will cultivate a bit of detachment – just enough to protect my psyche, in case the gods do not smile again this year.
- My sense is that the Cubs will not trade Kyle Schwarber until they give him the chance to show how good he can become in left field. His hitting is too high quality to do otherwise.
- Let’s just talk about trading bAez, Soler, Montero or Ceasar or Len.
- After the second straight day of attacks on one of my favorite musicians, I feel it’s important to Make A Stand. These sort of attacks tend to Cut Like a Knife, and though many of you may not be fans, it’s important that he can Depend on Me.
- Cock Robin was known for their hit song “When Your Heart is Weak” which, as I understand it, continuously plays on a loop in Seymour’s waiting room.
- Fast forward to September 10th, 2001, I met a tall exceptionally attractive woman on a first date in Manhattan Beach, California. We had a great time for the first half hour or so, but then the conversation lagged. She asked what type of music I was into. I couldn’t admit to Chumbawumba at that point, so I muttered “Bryan Adams.” Turns out SHE LOVED THE GUY! The next day was extremely tragic for all of us, but we decided to keep seeing each other. Three months later, we flew to Vegas to see him live at the Paris Casino on New Year’s Eve. I kicked down for 13th row tickets, the best I could afford. The first 12 rows of the venue were completely empty, the usual Vegas garbage of hanging on to the best seats as a thank you for the worst gamblers. After a single song, he stopped the show and asked the ushers to orderly move everyone 12 rows closer. Initially, they refused, and the head of the casino had to come on stage and meet with him before they’d do it…but he steadfastly said that his fans deserved to be close. We ended up in the front row. The following 4th of July I got engaged to that woman, and 15 years later, Bryan Adams’ music is something we still agree on. Unlike 3rd Eye Blind and Chumbawumba, my marriage and Bryan Adams have stood the test of time. Sure it’s cheesy, and the lyrics are bad, but admit it, you know the words. “I got my first real six string…”
- Very romantic, Cap’n. And when it comes to the romantic, the regulars on this site could be All Stars. That’s what it takes Cubs fans. You have to be a crazy romantic.
- Crazy romantic? You’re half right.
- Move on to the awards post. Baseball geeks talking music can’t end well.
- The Len Kasper Award goes to VFTB for 3 days of music related headlines during the all star break.
- As for the bullpen, the near future looks rather grim…pun intended.
- Stats are great indicators. Another is rise in blood pressure, mine. Grimm and Cahill lead the group in that category.
- Wasn’t the Cole Hamel no hitter last year the first Sunday game after the All Star break? DejaVu?
- If Darvish would have done it, would it have been DejaYu? Thanks, I’ll be here all week.
- Played some baseball IRL yesterday and missed the game. Theriot game… 1-2 with a walk and two errors.
- I also can’t help saying that it was a gorgeous July night in Chicago. Poetic with a huge moon rising over the right field bleachers. The kind of night that night baseball was made for. I also liked the 6:05 start. Home a little after 9. Nice.
- I’d prefer to see the pitcher hit, or not hit, as the case may be – and keep that strategy in the game. Not a DH fan.
- Tough loss. I didn’t like Baez’ bunt. We needed an rbi there. Not another runner.
- It sure looked like a different pitching rotation this time through, capped off by Jake’s outing last night.
- When you load the bases against Jeurys Familia, one of the best closers in the game, when he’s not even close to throwing strikes, and then fail to score, you deserve to lose the game.
- Salad Man steps up in the 9th with the bases loaded with Familia struggling to throw strikes and immediately swings at 2 pitches out of the zone. He wins the Horrible At Bat of the Day award which is pretty hard to do with Miguel Montero in the line up.
- These are the situations that matter in October, anyone can hit when it is 8-0.
- Do simple better.
- Big shout out to Nate Head for his first 2016 Regular Season Lizzie!!!! Way to go!
- Congratulations to Sherm, our Most Valuable Lizzie-er this time! Brad and Doc Raker gave him a real challenge this time! Thanks for the great commentary gentlemen!
Top 10 of the 2016 Season (one point for each Lizzie, three points for the Lizard)
2. Doc Raker
3. Eddie von White
4. Seymour Butts
6. Doug S
7. Joe Aiello
8. Brad Lyerla
9. cap’n realist
- Not that we wouldn’t be talking about this anyway, but on this off-day maybe we can chat about how we’re feeling now that the All Star game is over and the Cubs are back to work. I think we were all a bit frustrated going into the break. How about now, any better?