- Lizzie = A funny, timely, and/or interesting quote made on the VFTB site by our writers or commenters.
- Lizard = The best Lizzie.
- MVL = Most Valuable Lizzie’er: The person with the most Lizzies in the period under review (usually the past two weeks.)
- Top 10 of the 2016 Season = The folks with the most aggregate Lizzie points YTD (1 point for every Lizzie, 3 points for every Lizard.)
As you already know, this is all completely subjective and according to my whims.
- Bryant’s RBI liner up the middle when all that was needed was a liner up the middle…not a bomb. It doesn’t always have to be a bomb, and he’s figured it out. He’s going to be SO good.
- I still miss Castro but I understand the different make up of this Cubs roster.
- Wood’s lost some heat (don’t do it, Seymour) and is learning to be crafty, but he … needs a little more bend. (Dammit – leave it alone, Seymour)
- Wood pitches hard.
- What happened to the half off prom dresses?
- Lester has a classic case of ‘the yips’ on the throw to first and everyone in the league knows it.
- No review of the “YIPS” would be complete without defining the words origin. YIPS is an anagram for the first letters of what the coaching staff mutters when observing Knoblock lawn dart a throw from second to first. “You Idiotic Piece of S**t.”
- Billy Ocean. Any relation to Junior Lake?
- First cousins, only much larger.
- Maybe the Cubs could hire a tutor/musician to stroll out to the mound with Chris Bosio and spend 30 seconds humming to Jon – the way some teams have an interpreter for non-English speaking players.
- Even with no game tonight, it was a great day for Ben Zobrist who was named National League co-player of the week,
- Still not loving Heyward hitting two. To me, Zobrist probably belongs there behind Fowler – back to back switch hitting on base machines. Heyward has been a rally killer, and until his wrist, or whatever it is that is bothering him, is 100% it won’t kill him to bat lower in the order. Hell, bat him ninth.
- We lost all of that funny junk we said with the other comment format… I hope Lizzie was taking notes
- Lizzie never gets distracted.
- I guess I’ll summarize. Doug was classic, CAPS apparently gets emails every time somebody comments on VFTB, intentionally, Dork had an identity crisis, Sherm shermranted, business as usual for Seymour and me. Raker was studying science at Subway and failed to check in. Still no sign of our beloved Johnsons.
- get your game face on, triangle mouths and all!
- She was last seen standing outside of a baseball stadium holding a homemade sign which reads “balls to the face hurt.” Her original sign, “who wants a ball in the mouth?” was stolen by a streetwalker.
- Last year I dreaded games that David Ross was the starter because he was an automatic out. He’s not an all star, by any means, but watching him play this year has not been torture.
- Real satisfying watching Sean Rodriguez strike out.
- I have a problem with people not giving people that are better than them credit. Know where you stand
- To all the off season Ben Zobrist supporters. You were right, he is an upgrade from Starlin Castro as much as I like and miss Castro. It’s not just the batting average with Zobrist, it seems like everyone of his AB’s is a quality AB. Zobrist is impressive and made the Cubs a better team.
- Who hasn’t had the metaphorical bat flipped in their face? It’s life.
- And who hasn’t, metaphorically, at least, punched an arrogant idiot in the mouth?
- If you don’t like his bat flip, maybe you should have gotten him out.
- The Pirates are probably still salty from their Wildcard loss.
- People don’t hate losers. It feels good to be hated on.
- The Cubs are playing with class and acting like they have been there even though they are not and have not been perennial winners year after year.
- it prevents [your] back end of the pen guys from staying sharp because they aren’t needed very often. Take Clayton Richard, for example. In the last seven days, he’s thrown one inning. For the year, he’s under six. This for a guy who has the endurance to throw that in one outing, and he’s considered you long man. How can you expect him to be a long man if he doesn’t have the opportunity to throw long outings?
- There is no reason to have three catchers unless one of them is named Kyle Schwarber and if Tim Federowicz has his name changed to Kyle Schwarber, I retract that statement too.
- I would just as soon send Federowicz packing and keep Kalish. I bet Baez would be willing to strap on the gear and catch the long man.
- Heck, I’d rather see Thunder Matt Murton pinch hit over watching guys like Richard, warm the bullpen pine, game after game.
- The league may be making adjustments on how they pitch to the Cubs.
- Len – Joe Nathan, there’s two first names
Thinking Man – Wouldn’t you like to see a Joe Nathan / John Jay matchup?
Len – Two more first names right there
Thinking Man – Then you have Jay Bruce
Len – That’s out number one. That brings up a great point, do you think Jay Bruce was born to run like Bruce Springsteen?
Thinking Man – Maybe back in his glory days
Len – We’re through eight. Cubs seven, Milwaukee two.
- Opportunity for a 4th of July hot dog eating contest tie in with Joe Nathan.
- Nathan’s famous hot dog probably has an entirely different meaning in the Nathan bedroom
- Federowitz pinch hit AB in the 9th was putrid.
- Flailowitz at bat was terrible. I’d have rather seen Travis Wood pinch hit. Pathetic. He didn’t come within a foot of the ball.
- I would go with Bryant at 1b and jBaez in left. I didn’t think Rizzo should of been pinched run for. Now we are in extra’s without our best hitter.
- And Baez could have pinch it in that Whiffowitz situation. Or instead of Cahill, who actually did a lot better than Strikeoutawitz.
- Wood played hard, as per usual.
- He played hard for a long man.
- Maddon, when asked what he said to Wood on the mound with bases loaded? “Understand one thing: If you get out of this, you’re getting an at-bat.”
- I know you have seen good 3b play, you played with me.
- What happens in the shower, stays in the shower
- I do want to go back to something Joe said in the original post, though. The WWE is fixed and pre-planned? SON OF A BITCH!!!!!
- Sorry brother.
- If they do move a guy out of the pen and into the starting rotation without a trade, I would look for it to be Warren.
- I’ll start with Grimm. He’s a two pitch guy. Unless one of the two is a heater that hits triple digits with sick movement? He’s not a starter. Teach him a change-up, and then? Maybe. Not this year.
- look at the standings, and then stare at a photo of Jake and question your sexuality.
- Heyward is a different story. He’s just not comfortable at the plate. Give him some time off and call it bereavement (for the death of his swing) But really…just drop him to 7 (or 9) in the batting order and let him work it out.
- VFTB authoring guideline 101 – The word naked usually follows shortly after Murton.
- Soler busts out. Finally. He was like a big black right handed Kyle Schwarber yesterday. The JS of Death?
- Bubble wrap the JS of Death and it sticks.
- Every time I type that, I have to send Sue a nickel
- I hope you sterilize them first.
- Nah…they’re wooden
- Cheap at twice the price.
- They actually play rookie ball in Phoenix through out the summer. That is brutal.
- It’s a dry heat.
- so is fire
- My apologies, I thought I gave CAPS your celebrity fan line number. $1 a minute to listen to your recording…………..”and then we took batting practice……..and then we played the games………..and then there was laughter and joy for those capable of experiencing laughter and joy……….and then dinner at Quiznos………..”
- $4.99 a minute. What do you think I am.
- I did prefer the 24 – 6 stretch over the 5-8 stretch we have been on.
- Did anyone see the poor ump in LA that took a fouled off bunt to the groin? He went down pretty hard. Karma?
- Twig or berries?
- The Cubs are 1st in the league in ERA and 2nd in the league in runs scored. They’re on pace to win 110 games, which would be freaking insane. Don’t let a couple tough losses in May get you down. All is well in Cubbyland!
- Cardinals Kick the Cubs in the Twig AND the Berries
- What a blessing Ben Zobrist has been this season. He had another great night at the plate and has been wonderful this season. Imagine this team had he not been brought in and had Dexter Fowler not spurned the Orioles and come to Chicago.
- The only question mark was catcher, but Geovany Soto grabbed the opportunity and ran with it.
- My Bushmills taste especially good this evening, it compliments a good old fashion ass kicking of the Cardinals very well.
- the pig is on the runway. Hammel will be our #2 come playoff time. Lester just isn’t as trustworthy.
- Hammel is all star caliber this year. Not only does he pitch, but he hits, and he throws to first. That’s 3 out of 3 if you’re doing the math.
- Baseball in person still beats any other sport. Even in a loss.
- Big shout outs to Andrew Thackray, Bartz, Bilyuds, Buddy, and Dork for their first 2016 Regular Season Lizzies!!!! Thanks for being here!
- Congratulations to Sherm, our Most Valuable Lizzie-er this time! Way to go!
Top 10 of the 2016 Season (one point for each Lizzie, three points for the Lizard)
1. Eddie von White
3. Doc Raker
4. Seymour Butts
6. Joe Aiello
7. Doug S
8. cap’n realist
9. Brad Lyerla
10. Sean Powell
- Today’s day off gives you some extra time to think about the Cubs so give this a try. Given current performance what’s your proposed lineup for Friday’s game vs. the Phillies? (Probable starter is Jon Lester so you must work that in. Adam Morgan is set to start for the Phillies if it matters.)