- Lizzie = A funny, timely quote made on the VFTB site by our writers or commenters.
- Lizard = The best Lizzie.
- MVL = Most Valuable Lizzie’er: The person with the most Lizzies in the period under review (usually the past two weeks.)
- Top 10 of the 2014 Offeason = The folks with the most aggregate Lizzie points YTD (1 point for every Lizzie, 3 points for every Lizard.)
As you already know, this is all completely subjective and according to my whims.
- The greed for more rounds has lessened the accomplishment of being the best team in your league that year.
- That said, the great “intangible” in my mind is “approach.” The winning teams have a great approach to the game. They are usually patient at the plate. They usually have pitchers who get ahead in the count.
- I agree with Sherm 110%. Smart baseball is good baseball.
- I just want to thank Lizzie for recognizing my genius yet again. But enough about my genius, today is a possible Cardinal Elimination Day. I have bubbly on ice. How will you celebrate CED?
- On CED I will relax, breathe a heavy sigh of relief and then enjoy the WS not really caring who wins or loses.
- Drinks on me – as my hero JSwan likes to say. On this CED, I will be consuming any adult beverage not brewed in St. Louis.
- a) Football, pro and college
b) Basketball, college
c) Talk to girlfriend
x) Avoid soccer
- Football, basketball and a little hockey. Those should keep me busy until spring training starts, thus avoiding the girlfriend chit-chat.
- Excuse me Brian, don’t you think you missed a little news from last week? The new 2014 off season Lizzie standings was big news and ruffled some feathers of the VFTB entitlement class… I am still celebrating Lizzies astute acumen and Cardinal Elimination Day. Drinks on me!
- It must be some party to still be going stong since Thursday.
- Doc really knows how to throw a party. Who else would think of events like Pin the Tail on Len?
- It will be interesting to see the debate between Doc and Len on what music get played during the musical chairs game.
- The party will last as long as his case of Mogen-David does.
- I just Fed-Exed him another case. We could be here a while.
- I hope you ordered blackberry this time. Concord was too dry for my palate.
- I ordered the 20/20 Dragon fruit in honor of Lizzie’s perceived vision.
- Should we invite Seymour? He did come in 5th? I think we should, in fact everyone on the Lizzie board should come and party. Bushmills on me! Doug S, bring your Len Kasper voodoo doll.
- For sure. He can give us rides home, one at a time, in his Chevy Volt. I’ll go last and we can finish off the box of M&D.
- I inadvertently sent Len an invitation. Sounds like he’s coming too. Doug S. can leave his doll at home.
- Your comment on the Dodgers payroll got me looking. The article I saw, dated earlier this year, had them at the highest total salary team in the world at 241 mill and change. It surprised me. For contrast the Shanghai Dongya placed last (294th) at 1.4 mill.
- Rumor has it they are keeping the books clear in order to sign Brett Jackson, Josh Vitters, and Mike Olt.
- Shanghai Dongya Channel 9 , 8:00 PM must see TV Thursday starring Matt Morton and Bryan LaHair.
- Exactly. The TV deals are considered under the table $$$ and not reported.
- Good to know you are OK Joe. Did you see I am at the top of the Lizzie board? Seymour is five behind EVW, Jerry from Wisconsin and Jswan. We are celebrating CED and Lizzies insightful wisdom, come join us.
- Having tied their next few years to Jay Cutler, a quarterback unlikely to ever win a meaningful game, Chicago is ripe for a new team to get behind.
- Off-season plans and FA predictions are always entertaining. The also give your enemies ammunition for the next several months as you are proven completely wrong.
- I would like to discuss venues for the VFTB Spring Training dinner.
- I would like to discuss how Joe’s avatar can look so not like the real Joe.
- The neck is a little different.
- Real Joe doesn’t have to comb his eyebrows, cartoon Joe probably has to.
- Same with his hair.
- I would like to discuss/debate past Cubs at a particular position. Who was better at 1b Mark Grace, Derrick Lee, Bill Buckner, Pete LaCock or Hee Sop Choi?
- It’s either Buckner or Lee!
- Grace was pretty damn good also, but Pete LaCock was Seymours favorite.
- Great stories, great guy, Classic name.
- What does LaCock like to order at Subway? Special sauce I would presume.
- A more conspiratorial thinker would say that Russell was pulled in preparation for a trade for Cole Hamels.
- On Golden Blonde
Shaving Ryan’s Privates
Good Will Humping
Every one a classic
- I’m shocked Romancing The Bone didn’t crack your top 5.
- Or the classic film, “Yank My Doodle It’s A Dandy.”
- I PRAY that the Cubs hire Joe Maddon. If they don’t, well, they’d be the Cubs.
- Before I delve into the topic of this post, I wanted to touch briefly on the tragic death of St. Louis Cardinals outfielder Oscar Taveras. There are times when we are reminded of the unimportance of the actual results of baseball games, even World Series games, and Sunday night was one of those times.
- Big shout outs to Buddy, Kizzfastfists, Mark From Toronto, Sean Powell, and Sherm for their first 2014 off-season Lizzies!!!! Thanks for being here!
- Congratulations to Doc Raker, our Most Valuable Lizzie-er this time! Way to go Doc!
Top 10 of the 2014 Offseason (one point for each Lizzie, three points for the Lizard)
1. Doc Raker
2. Eddie Von White
4. Doug S.
4. Jerry in Wisconsin
4. Seymour Butts
7. Noah Eisner
10. Mark From Toronto
10. Sean Powell
By the time you read this, you will know who won the World Series. As I’m writing it though (early Wednesday evening) I don’t yet know. I am hoping the Royals pull it off but I’m not really invested either way. How about you? Did your choice win?