- Lizzie = A funny, timely, and/or interesting quote made on the VFTB site by our writers or commenters.
- Lizard = The best Lizzie.
- MVL = Most Valuable Lizzie’ers: Those with the most Lizzies in the period under review (usually the past two weeks.)
- Top 10 of the 2016 Post Season = The folks with the most aggregate Lizzie points YTD (1 point for every Lizzie, 3 points for every Lizard.)
As you already know, this is all completely subjective and according to my whims.
- On a night where the game offered little of interest, it was nice to hear the news that Theo will be with the Cubs for the foreseeable future.
- He very much had a reason to get said colonic critter.
- Almost astounding that Len has not spent the last 5 years musing about that possible relationship on air.
- He will now because we all know he reads this blog as do Theo, Jed, and the others including Ricketts. Otherwise, why did he suddenly sign them on for five more years?
- Any tips on how to keep from finishing arrears of Butts would be kindly welcomed.
- Wake me up next Friday.
- I want there to be no chance that the Cardinals can even think about ruining our parade.
- CED- Green Spot Irish on me! Rum Chalada with an umbrella for Big Toe Joe!
- Why does the MLB play 162 games in 180 days and then schedule playoff games every other day after a 4 day layoff?
- I moved to NC 4 years ago, though, to get closer to Joe.
- I might need a few shots of bourbon to calm the nerves.
- Heyward has improved this past month. He still can hit better than Montero.
- I have the same roster, except me instead of Montero.
- I’m going to think outside the box and let Joe Maddon and Thed select the roster.
- I am rooting for a 38 inning marathon tonight between the Met’s and Giants so Angel Pagan or Captain America has to pitch on Friday.
- If we beat Cueto we will win the series.
- Hello, Raker? It’s Friday. Wake up!
- For a while it looked like I would be Jerry in MN, TN, IN, MI, or OH.
- Jon Lester was outstanding.
- Tonight – it’s the professor vs Mary Ann
- my memory of Marriane has been tarnished forever.
- What a relief to get that game.
- Other than the 2-0 series lead, my favorite stat is Hendricks leading the team in playoff RBIs.
- I believe the rule is if you are tagged off the bag, you’re out. Why not learn to stay on the bag?
- Where is Jerry from Wisconsin?
- Presumably Wisconsin
- Listening to his wife.
- You cannot end a game because you ran out of pitchers.
- The sun is a little brighter this morning, the birds a little chirpier, and the morning wood a little pithier this fine day.
- It’s simply insane that real fans have to struggle to watch the games. MLB, what are you thinking?
- Well, that was an enjoyable way to spend a Saturday evening.
- Rizzo and Russell could really lift us if they would start hitting the way that they are capable of doing.
- How about the Dodgers walking heyward to get to javy – were they looking at 2015 stat lines?
- I’ve ripped on Montero as much as anyone, but I said to myself when he was up, “Miggie, you get a hit here and I’ll never badmouth you again.” As so it will be.
- Box sums it up bud.. Riz and Russ swung their purses. Kyle vs Clayton and we shit the bed in Wrigley.
- Kershaw was dealing but I thought we had a shot when Rizzo walked on 4 pitches to start the 7th or 8th. Then with Zobrist up I said to myself, “Here is a guy who will make Kershaw throw strikes, it could be 1st and second if Kershaw is starting to lose his legs.” Boom, Zobrist swings at the first pitch up out of the zone. Pops up to the catcher but the catcher drops it. I say, “Son of a gun, Zobrist swung at the first pitch out of the zone after a 4 pitch walk. That isn’t suppose to happen. Boom, Zobrist swings at the second pitch that is out of the zone, now 0-2. I say, “What the heck is going on here.” Then Boom, Zobrist watches a fast ball go right down the middle. Good morning, good afternoon and good night. I say, “That is the worst AB I have seen Zobrist take all year. Game over, let’s head to LA for game 3 tied 1 game each.”
- That game was a bummer – it was there for the taking
- Soler is over-matched by every pitcher he faces at this stage in the season. He may be able to hit the fastball, but no pitcher in his right mind will throw him a strike because he swings at balls all the time.
- Going to go Buckless tonight.
- If anyone does get on, they basically get a free pass to second with Arrieta on the mound and Montero behind the plate.
- He’s a wise old toe, so let’s follow that advice, and take a look at the positives from last night’s game: […crickets…]
- 2nd inning I was sure we were going to start pummeling Hill. He was laboring, you could see it on his face. The throwing hand was troubling him, the Lester-esque throws to hold the runner at first. All we had to do was lean on him and he’d fall over. We did not.
- Right now our number one fear is our number one fear.
- Cubbies feast on inadequate pitching…problem is that you don’t get much of that in the postseason. I’ve been thumping this all year – they need to have productive at-bats all game long: move runners over, sacrifice when called to, etc. It’s been the greatest deficiency of this club all year. They’ve had enough talent, and faced Reds enough to overcome it during over the stretch of the marathon, but this is now a sprint – and there is far less room for error. Ask the Giants.
- Since we’re starting anew for the Post Season, everyone who had a Lizzie this time around had their first Post Season Lizzie. Thanks for being here Adam Peters, Brad Lyerla, Doc Raker, Dork, Doug S, Eddie von White, Jerry in Wisconsin, Joe Aiello, jswanson, Junior von White, Seymour Butts, and Sherm! You make my work here fun!
- Congratulations to Doc Raker, Eddie von White, and Sherm, our Most Valuable Lizzie-ers this time around! Thank you all!
Top 10 of the 2016 Post Season (one point for each Lizzie, three points for the Lizard) – Actually the top 12 this time since that’s everyone!
1. Doc Raker
2. Eddie von White
5. Brad Lyerla
5. Doug S
5. Joe Aiello
10. Adam Peters
10. Junior von White
12. Jerry in Wisconsin
- I’m composing this on Wednesday morning (yes, the Wednesday morning after the 6-0 loss to (gag) Rich Hill … the only thing I could think of that is more ironic than losing to Rich Hill would be to lose to Jeff Samardzija, for completely different reasons (Hill’s talent vs. Samardzija’s ego) but thankfully we didn’t go down that path.) Anyway my point is, it’s hard for me to anticipate how we’ll be feeling by the time this posts tomorrow and what we’ll feel like discussing. We might be elated by a Wednesday night win, or reeling because we’re one game from elimination. Let’s hope it’s the former, but either way please feel free to chat about whatever’s on your mind.