- Lizzie = A funny, timely quote made on the VFTB site by our writers or commenters.
- Lizard = The best Lizzie.
- MVL = Most Valuable Lizzie’er: The person with the most Lizzies in the period under review (usually the past two weeks.)
- Top 10 of the 2015 Off-Season = The folks with the most aggregate Lizzie points YTD (1 point for every Lizzie, 3 points for every Lizard.)
As you already know, this is all completely subjective and according to my whims.
- If the guy isn’t getting the job done, then make the change. Someone else will be ready to step up.
- Strop scares me – he channels his “inner-Marmol” far too often when asked to do anything other than bridge the game.
- If Rondon is dominant this year, I hope we forgot about the save stat and let him pitch whichever inning is most important.
- Big expectations last year for Lester and to me, he didn’t deliver. Lower expectations this year. I hope he can deliver on that.
- So Brian Schlitter beat Murton to the sitcom thing.. Didn’t see that coming.
- I have great memories of listening to Cubs games with my grandpa when I was young just he and I on the front porch.
- In Sunday School my teacher had a contest for attendance, Bible verse, and bring your Bible. The top three winners won a trip to Wrigley Field. I won.
- I noticed the necklace at an away game a few years later and she claimed to remember me (who wouldn’t I know).
- That might be the necklace I gave her on her birthday when I was 10. When you had dinner, did she mention a little boy named Eddie with a pocket full of crayons?
- I enjoy the strategy utilized by NL managers in various game situations, especially in the late innings.
- I’m a traditionalist. Put your pitchers in the cages during spring training. Teach them how to bunt. Teach them how to swing the bat. Make them learn how to run and slide.
- The business of the game will win this argument and at some point the NL will have the DH, much to my chagrin. The players union will see to it that the DH is not removed.
- Can we DH for David Ross and let the pitcher hit when in an AL park?
- Underwood was great in LA Law.
- Underwood? Balls. Final answer.
- I’m fine starting the season with the horses we have and letting Maddon tinker away.
- I think this thread can be summarized in one word: balance. Last season our offense was way too swing and miss oriented, so Theo went out and got Heyward and Zobrist and their high OBPs to balance things out and get some bodies on base for all those taters. The Cubs have 2 dudes who hit so damn well they need to find somewhere for them to play in the field. Our infield defense is great, and so is Heyward, so the Cubs can afford to have a couple of guys out there who aren’t gold glove caliber.
- When things were worst, my dad and I could always talk about baseball. Cubs baseball would always cut the tension and allow us to reconnect.
- It’s been a very real joy to write here.
- Big shout outs to Adam Peters, Bilyuds, and Sue Draper for their first 2015 Off-Season Lizzies!!!! Thanks for being here!
- Congratulations to Doc Raker, Eddie von White, and Jared , our Most Valuable Lizzie-ers this time! Thank you all!
Top 10 of the 2015 Off-Season (one point for each Lizzie, three points for the Lizard)
3. Doc Raker
4. Doug S
4. Eddie von White
7. Seymour Butts
9. Nate Usher
10. Brad Lyerla
10. Jerry in Wisconsin
10. Joe Aiello
10. Sean Powell
Jared touched on this the other day, but since we’ve entered the month during which Spring Training begins we’ve got baseball right around the corner, so I’ll review some pertinent dates:
- Friday, February 19 – Pitchers and catchers report
- Tuesday, February 23 – Position players report
- Thursday, March 3 – First Spring Training exhibition game (away vs. Milwaukee, available on mlb.com)
- Saturday, March 5 – First radio broadcast (home vs. Cincinnati, 670 AM, 2:05 pm CT)
- Wednesday, March 16 – First television broadcast (away vs. Kansas City, CSN, 3:05 pm CT)
Now, for the chatting. Have you ever attended any Cubs Spring Training games? Will you be heading there this year?