Thursday, April 3rd, 2014
Without even realizing it I forgot to wrap up the offseason Lizzie standings so we can start fresh this time around since (YAY!) we are now officially in season! Nevertheless we are starting fresh today, and I’ll also include the final standings from the offseason. Let’s get to it!
- Lizzie = A funny, timely quote made on the VFTB site by our writers or commenters.
- Lizard = The best Lizzie.
- MVL = Most Valuable Lizzie’er: The person with the most Lizzies in the period under review (usually the past two weeks.)
- Top 10 of the 2014 Season = The folks with the most aggregate Lizzie points YTD (1 point for every Lizzie, 3 points for every Lizard.)
As you already know, this is all completely subjective and according to my whims.
- Joe’s new cartoonist is lights-out.
- Yea, but it’s kind of creepy real looking. That could be an actual person.
- I love baseball and love going to the live games, but I like to keep that event as special.
- Being at a live game is a great experience, but I think it would lose it’s lustre for me if I was constantly at the ballpark. That along with the fact that it might get a little expensive commuting to Chicago from Toronto for every Cubs homegame (although there are several flights a day to Midway).
- with career and family commitments, I envy anyone who can attend that many games a week nowadays.
- A pseudonym? where ever did you get the idea?
- ? Lollypops on Lizzie ?
- BAT SPEED OF THE GODS.
- So, even though I’ve stated that Baez is already my favorite player, I’m more than happy to wait to see him at Clark and Addison for all the reasons I’ve discussed above. I think it will be worth the wait.
- I have never heard of staying in the minors being detrimental to player development when the player is this young, however here are scads of players whose development was stunted due to being rushed to the Majors.
- Recent reports have the field clear of snow, and the troughs down to 4″ of frozen urine.
- I routinely express my disappointment for my boyfriend, Josh Vitters, and his demotion on the podcast.
- It is what it is.
- The Romance is Gone….It’s a Whores Game Now
- A whole day with that headline and nobody mentioned Cindy Sandberg?
- It is what it is.
- It was like a good sitcom, the cast would just keep returning season after season, playing their role and occasionally a newcomer would be added or a bit player dropped, but the core was always there.
- Somewhere between the stitches there is a certain amount of theater and a certain amount of honesty that gets played out for the public.
- Will all of the Cubs’ prospects make it? No. Has there ever been a time in baseball history where prospect rankings indicate success as strongly as they do today? No.
- How Renteria handles these playing-time issues will be a huge test for the first-year manager. If he pulls this off, we may have found ourselves a keeper.
- Lizzie was nerding out on primes when I was learning my times tables…
- One other thing, to quote George Washington: “There’s no such thing as a necessary evil. If it’s evil, it’s not necessary.”
- Beef appears to be having some Johnson issues of his own.
- Somehow, the MLB quietly agreed to a system that will enforce performance-enhancing drugs better than any of the four major sports leagues.
- Plus, poor Welington Castillo had the hardest ball hit all day by a Cub, too bad he was playing defense.
- On the bright side of things we are only 1 game out of first, we are still in contention just as I predicted.
- My guess is that you haven’t read the post.
- Is that required?
- Those graphs of odds of winning over a game kill me. The amount of games the cubs lost last year when they were above 90% was ridiculous.
- Player Who Will Look Most Improved Despite Changing Nothing
- I think that how this list of players performs this season will greatly affect whether the window of contention can possibly open next season, or if we’re waiting until 2016: Castro, Rizzo, Olt, Castillo, Samardzija, Wood, Jackson, young bullpen arms.
- Jackson will only suck a little bit.
- I found this pretty, pink logo so I have to use it now.
- You can tell baseball season has started because Joe is in such a good mood. Great piece.
- I like my hotdog between two buns.
- And again we ask “Where are the Johnsons”
- Joe- don’t confuse ‘Fans really like spring training’ as ‘fans really like spring training baseball’.
- Maybe next year the VFTB crowd should all meet in PHX for some spring training fun and a nice dinner at Don and Charlies.
- So, next time you youngsters out there in your 20s and 30s start griping about the current state of the Cubs, take a look back at this inept squad that a young boy attached his hopes and dreams to.
- I gave serious consideration to editing Lizzies comment to just read “I enjoy a good hard Johnson” and deleting the rest. I refrained, but boy was it hard. (insert rim shot here)
Well since we’re starting fresh this time, everyone who got a Lizzie got their first 2014 Season Lizzie! Big shout outs to Brian Rzeppa, Chet West, Chris Neitzel, Chuck, Darlin_Starlin, Doc Raker, Doug S., Eddie von White, Joe Aiello, jswanson, LVCubFan, Mark from Toronto, Noah Eisner, Ryno, Sean Powell, Seymour Butts. And everyone else who commented or even just lurked around!
Congratulations to Joe Aiello and Seymour Butts, our co-Most Valuable Lizzie-ers this time! Thanks for all the laughs!
Top 10 of the 2014 Season (one point for each Lizzie, three points for the Lizard)
1. Joe Aiello
1. Seymour Butts
4. Chet West
4. Doc Raker
4. Sean Powell
5. Chris Neitzel
5. Eddie Von White
5. Noah Eisner
Final 2013/2014 Offseason (one point for each Lizzie, three points for the Lizard)
2. Doc Raker
3. Seymour Butts
4. Eddie von White
5. Sean Powell
6. Joe Aiello
7. Doug S
9. Jerry in Wisconsin
10. Chet West
11. Jedi Johnson
13. cap’n obvious
15. Tom C
18. Chris Neitzel
18. Dusty Baylor
19. Bill Fell
19. Jeremiah Johnson
19. John Winger
19. L lips es
19. Mark From Toronto
19. Rob Willer
19. Still not Dave
A little addition to our season ticket discussion from last time … as I am writing this (Wednesday evening an hour+ into the game broadcast) they are still offering a “limited amount of game day tickets available” for Friday and our nephew-in-law who did take the plunge this year can’t get rid of his opening day tickets at face value on Stub Hub. It kind of makes me sad, but is not surprising to me. I wish for clear skies, clear views from the bleachers, and a clear win on Opening Day for our Cubs and especially for those of you who will be attending!
Like what you see here? Never miss new content. Follow Us: