It’s been a while, hasn’t it? The last post I wrote was a “Five Burning Questions” back in May. My questions were along the lines of….
1)Who is your MVP so far?
2)Who would you trade at the deadline?
3)Who is a disappointment?
4)Who’s a better broadcaster?
5)Do you play Daily Fantasy Baseball?
For the record, my answers…
- MVP choice was Rizzo or Bryant. Absolutely no mention of Arietta at all, which is funny, but not totally inaccurate as I have trouble giving pitchers an MVP, but a nod would have been appropriate.
- I would have “traded anybody in the organization except Rizzo and Bryant”….again, interesting…apparently Schwarber, Arrieta, and Russell were expendable?
- Soler was a “disappointment” because he couldn’t hit the curve…likened him to Pedro Cerrano from the movie Major League. While Soler did not achieve the lofty status I set out for him (I tried to go contrarian and project ROY), he still did quite well.
- Announcer was between Jim Deshaies and Steve Stone…..I chose Deshaies…answer hasn’t changed.
- I still play Daily Fantasy Sports and eventually won $2500, on a $3 entry, by taking second place in a tournament on Draft Kings in July. Yah, I hate the commercials too, but its fun to win money.
Anyhow, looking back is interesting. I didn’t think there was a chance in hell we would go to the NLCS. It was like playing bonus rounds or something. No expectations, no “it’s now or never”, just a nice cocktail by the water and a cool breeze.
Buy or Sell
I wanna play a new game called Buy or Sell. I list a topic and you decide to Buy (i.e., yes I like that, I am buying!!!) or Sell (no, that idea sucks, I am selling ASAP)
1) Sign Rich Hill as a Free Agent
I know, I hit you in the teeth with this one, but the guy was lights out last year in his short but effective stint in the majors! I am not even sure he is reclamation project! Here are some stats…
29 Innings,– 11.17 K/9 — 2.50 xFIP
not even gonna do the whole W/L , ERA, cause they make it look better…..anyhow…Buy or Sell?
2) Trade Jake Arietta while the iron is hot!
There are grumblings that this could be the right move. There are reasons why I agree…..however, its only because I am a pessimist at heart when it comes to future performance. The next step is we pay him… and by god, I am not so sure its worth it because of said pessimism. That said we can recap this next year at the same time and see where we are at….I hope its celebrating a World Series victory.
By the way, I tip my cap to Bruce Levine who wrote this little tidbit back in 2013.
Buy or Sell?
3) Trade Kyle Schwarber for Starting Pitching
Okay, first of all, I love the “new” Baby Bull. I also happen to know if we trade him, the pitcher we get in return will throw a pitch that causes his arm to fly off into the seats behind home plate and Schwarber will become the next Babe Ruth….in that order. I don’t care if Kershaw himself is involved…..or wait, maybe I do??? Cue the theme music to “No, No Nanette” please!
Buy or Sell?
4) Pay the house for David Price
Not even gonna expand, topic has been bludgeoned…..buy or sell?
Kris Bryant …your 2015 NL Rookie of the Year!!!!
…..and last but not least on our show, a quick question:
Kris Bryant was just named the NY Rookie of the Year for 2015, surprisingly enough (tongue in cheek) we have had only 6 total Cub Rookie of the Year award winners. The list of Cub Rookie of the Year honorees prior to Bryant is as follows:
1961 – Billy Williams
1962 – Ken Hubbs
1989 – Jerome Walton
1998 – Kerry Wood
2008 – Geovany Soto
If you had to slot Bryant in to 1 -6 ranking, where would he fall with these others? In other words this is based on his expectations vs. the others finished accomplishments.
That’s it for now….leave your comments on the Buy or Sell game and come up with some of your own for fun. Everybody can contribute their answers and we’ll tell you whether you’re crazy or a genius…the feedback is free!