You Own the Cubs: Now What?
There’s not a ton of Cubs-related news at the moment, so let’s play a game.
Scenario: Imagine you are suddenly the new Cubs owner/president/general manager/demigod.
1) You must start from the current real-world scenario facing the Cubs. Roster, finances, farm system, draft position, etc.. The Cubs can’t suddenly have a $200 million payroll out of the blue (although you can create a plan to help make this happen).
2) You can’t go “back in time” and sign FAs that have already been signed or makes trades for players who have already been traded this season. You must start from today and move forward.
Now, go forth and get us a championship. You are free to approach this however you’d like, although here are some issues that I urge you to consider.
1) What would you do in the very near term regarding the major league roster? What’s the lineup and starting rotation? Who is in the bullpen and on the bench? Who gets sent back down to the minors?
2) Prospects! When do you call up or promote minor leaguers? Where do they fit in to the major league lineup once they’re there?
3) What trades would you pursue – this offseason, during the season, and next offseason?
4) What would be your overall long-term strategy? What would you do differently than the current FO?
5) How would you handle the financial situation? Think about rooftops, Wrigley renovation, radio and TV deals, etc..
6) How long would you keep Clark?
I’m looking forward to seeing what you come up with!
By the way, if you haven’t done so already, please check out Episode 1 of the View from the Bleachers podcast! It was a total blast to do, and I’m chomping at the bit for the next episode. Please subscribe to us on iTunes and remember to rate and review!