How a Kid Makes An All Time Greatest Baseball Team Roster
An interesting day for news today but before we get to that, I want to ask your opinion on something. I ran across a person the other day who spelled her name Beutrice, but it was pronounced Beatrice. That got me thinking. With all the crazy spellings of names these days, what percentage of them are just a result of the parents being dumb and simply not knowing how to spell when it comes to putting it down on the birth certificate. What other reason would there be for someone to spell a name that way? The longer I live and the more stupid people I encounter, the more convinced I am that a lot of the weird spellings are just a result of uneducated folks having babies and not having the benefit of spell check. On to the news.
- Could Paul Maholm Be Back in Chicago? – According to this report by the Tribune’s Mark Gonzalez, if the Cubs fail to land Tanaka they could look to someone in the lower tier of available starting pitchers, with Maholm being an option. How crazy would it be if the Cubs were able to sign him to another team friendly deal, see him do well, and then move him again for pieces at the deadline like they did two years ago when they traded him to the Braves? I like the idea of signing Maholm.
- Cubs Grab a Rookie of the Year – Joel Sherman Tweeted out yesterday that the Cubs took a chance and signed former Marlins ROY winner, Chris Coghlan, to a minor league deal with incentives should he make the team. I like these deals. They are extremely low risk and high reward. Much like the deal last year for Kevin Gregg, you never know what will come of it. Most likely, there is a reason Coghlan is not still attractive to teams, but if you do it once, you may be able to do it again.
- Mark Cuban Wants To Get Fined – If you follow the NBA even a little, you know that Mark Cuban and David Stern haven’t always seen eye to eye. With Stern set to retire as of February 1st, Cubes wants to get fined by his old friend just one more time. The way I see it, if you’re going to ask for it, do something to really send Stern out in style. My advice would be go crash Stern’s farewell press conference and boo each time he goes to speak.
- BONUS UP – A Kid Makes the All Time Greatest Baseball Team – We have to qualify that a little, but if you missed this post from Buzzfeed, you need to check it out. It’s the all time greatest team that can be formed from baseball movie / television characters.
- Bulls Win Again – Good god, we can’t even tank like we’re supposed to. With a draft class scheduled to rival the class that produced Lebron, the Bulls sit in a position where they have the legitimate option of getting themselves into the lottery, but not unless they do some tanking. The East is such a bad conference that it’s going to take some work. It can be done, but not if you fight to win triple-OT games against Orlando. Make smart decisions.
- Orioles Sign Tyler Colvin – I miss Colvin. I interviewed him when he was in the minors and followed him pretty closely since he was drafted. A lot of people said it was an overdraft at the time as the Cubs draft that year was overshadowed by them picking Jeff Samardzija. They may be correct, but I still wonder what would have happened had he not been impaled by a bat late in the year just as he was beginning to figure things out.
- Ryan Tannehill’s Wife Is Not One to Cross – In case you missed this, the wife of Dolphins QB, Ryan Tanehill, was busted for leaving a gun in a rental vehicle. Let’s just say it’s not the average gun you’d see being carried by someone with a concealed carry permit. Moral of the story: Don’t mess with Mrs. Tannehill.
- Fan Graphs released their Top 14 Cubs prospects list. (Source)
- Kris Bryant is going to begin his season in AA. (Source)
- Jason McLeod is falling in love with Rick Renteria. (Source)
- CJ Edwards and I need to do some weight swapping. (Source)
What’s On Joe’s iPod?