I’m trying a new format, which I may even extend to game notes this year. It’s called 3 Up 3 Down. We look at three notes that I deem as positive and three that would be as negative. Let’s get going.
- Cubs Reportedly NOT a finalist in the Tanaka bidding – There have been a number of people reporting that the finalists are the Yankees, the Dodgers, and the Angels. Take that with a grain of salt as rumors are what they are, but I’m happy to hear this. I’ve not felt good about a Tanaka signing. I’m not sure why other than the history of lack of success when it comes to Asian players and the Cubs franchise. I could be completely wrong, but I’m OK if the team doesn’t sign Tanaka.
- MLB Advanced Media Bringing Back RBI Baseball – I will always go on record stating that my all time favorite gaming console was the original NES, and one of my favorite games was RBI baseball. MLB Advanced media announced today that they are bringing RBI baseball back. There isn’t much news as to what the game will look like, but I’m excited to see it revived.
- Bud Selig “All In” on retiring. – There are a lot of people who will say Selig is one of the worst commissioners in the history of the game. I disagree completely and actually would argue the opposite. That said, it’s time for new blood in that role and I’m hoping the replacement will have new vision on how to make the game even more accessible and remove some of the silly blackouts.
- Cubs Saw 8 players file their arbitration numbers – You never want to see a team go to arbitration with a player but the system is what it is. I have no doubt that the majority, if not all, of these cases will be settled before the arbiter hears the case, but you hope there isn’t any hard feelings as the negotiations are taking place. The Cubs players who filed are: Jeff Samardzija. Travis Wood, Darwin Barney, Luis Valbuena, Justin Ruggiano, Nate Schierholtz, Pedro Strop and James Russell.
- Cubs Adopt a New Mascot – If you didn’t see the mascot pictures, I’ll save you from them as I know you’ll see them soon enough. This doesn’t get placed in the three down section because it’s a dumb idea. I have no issue with it. What bothers me is the fact that in an off-season that has been riddled with criticism to the point that Jeff Passan ranked them so poorly from a franchise standpoint, the Cubs choose now to announce it. That seems like a better idea for the Cubs convention.
- Woman Messes up Her Ankle on Price is Right – Take a look at the video on Deadspin. She almost broke that sucker.
What’s On Joe’s iPod?
I ran this last year in the off-season and I wanted to bring it back. I will choose a song I enjoy listening to. Feel free to give me feedback on if you like or dislike the choice.