All Good Things Must End
Jumping The Shark
If HRH Keith Law ever gets a couple of nights off to watch actual baseball games (instead of scouting T-ball leagues in Cuba), I hope he watched the Cubs the last two nights. On Sunday, Klaw said this:
- I don’t know if the Nationals discouraged Bruce Bochy and the league from taking Stephen Strasburg — who belongs on merit, and on star power — because they’d rather have him rest for those three days. I’d take any of those four pitchers over Jeff Locke, whose 2.12 ERA is bursting with good fortune, from the league’s third-lowest BABIP to its highest strand rate, and who has never pitched like this before and is unlikely to do so in the second half. The same could be said of Travis Wood, who isn’t even the most deserving starter on his own staff.
At first I thought maybe he started compiling this particular piece on Opening Day and didn’t ever get around to updating his lone sentence on the Cubs. Whatever the reason for his stupefying conclusion, definitive proof of Travis Wood’s All-Star merits were on display Tuesday night. On Wednesday night, Jeff Samardzija’s inconsistent 2013 was equally on display.
Due to the Cubs usually anemic offense, the game was effectively over when each of the first four batters scored before the Cubs recorded a single out. Next up, Edwin Jackson against the Cardinals tonight at Wrigley.
More Cubs News
- Kris Bryant, the Cubs first selection in the amateur draft, has reached a tentative agreement with the team.
- Jen-Ho Tseng‘s signing continues the rash of international newcomers. If you know any foreigners who are familiar with baseball, haven’t yet completed high school, and for whom ‘summer in Boise’ isn’t a vomit-inducing proposition – the Cubs are interested in inking them to a deal. Email email@example.com with contact information. (Did they even check to make sure Jen-Ho is a guy?)
Around The League
- Chad Gaudin found out that what happens in Vegas doesn’t always stay in Vegas.
- John Rocker is still an idiot.
- Yu Darvish is one of the first to find a convenient way out of the All-Star Game.
- Kris Benson has a crazy soon-to-be ex-wife.
- Make a note – when you survive a plane crash, do NOT listen to the captain. Because…well, HE JUST CRASHED YOUR PLANE!