Recapping the Random (Draft Edition) – 06/05/2013
As we all wait to see what Epstein and Co. has up their collective sleeves for the 2013 draft, I figured it would be a good idea to look back at previous Cub drafts.
The only problem? There are very few positives coming from the north side of Chicago where the history of the draft is concerned. Sure, we have had our would be, might be, could be stars littering the rounds of every draft for years, but how many of these “prospects” have panned out?
Before I continue, I should preface everything by saying that a true star player in the making will not spend more than 4 years in the minors. You say your team has a star in the making but he has been in the minor league system for 6 years? Guess again. He may be a fine ballplayer, but star he is not. You get four years…that’s it. Look back at history, any true star, and I am not talking occasional all-star or one time ballot topper here, I am talking Sandberg, Mantle, Ripken, Banks, Ryan…you get the picture. That’s rookie ball and a year each at A, AA, AAA then it’s off to the majors. Oh and bouncing back and forth does not count, you get four years to stick. Yes, there are probably a few with a freak injury/illness or maybe some service time for our country that you can use to debunk my theory, but 99% get four years.
Now that we have that covered, back to the Cubs draft woes…..
Below is a list of Cub first round draft picks since 1992. That covers 20 years and pretty much any player that could have any effect on the team in the last 5 years.
*The number on the far right represents the overall pick of the draft
|2012||Albert Almora||CF||Mater Academy Charter, Hialeah, Fla.||6|
|2011||Javier Baez||SS||Arlington Country Day School||9|
|2010||Hayden Simpson||RHP||Southern Arkansas||16|
|2008||Andrew Cashner||RHP||Texas Christian||19|
|2007||Josh Vitters||3B||Cypress (Calif.) HS||3|
|2005||Mark Pawelek||LHP||Springville HS (UT)||20|
|2003||Ryan Harvey||OF||Dunedin HS||6|
|2001||Mark Prior||RHP||U. of Southern California||2|
|2000||Luis Montanez||SS||Miami, FL||3|
|1999||Ben Christiansen||RHP||Wichita State U.||26|
|1998||Corey Patterson||OF||Kennesaw, GA||3|
|1997||Jon Garland||RHP||Granada Hills, CA||10|
|1996||Todd Noel||RHP||Maurice, LA||17|
|1995||Kerry Wood||RHP||Grand Prairie, TX||4|
|1994||Jayson Peterson||RHP||Denver, CO||15|
|1993||Jon Ratliff||RHP||LeMoyne College||24|
|1993||Brooks Kieschnick||OF-RH||U of Texas||10|
|1992||Derek Wallace||RHP||Pepperdine U||11|
So basically 20 years and we got Kerry Wood, Mark Prior, and Cashner (which turned into Rizzo) to show for it. The extremely depressing years are 2002-2010, which explain exactly why Epstein has had nothing to work with. You’ll notice the Cubs have selected in the top 10 half of those years. For crying out loud, 2010 first rounder Hayden Simpson was let go during spring training and is now toiling with a Frontier league team! The guy should be mid-way through his minor league progression at least.
Oh well, while there are no guarantees in the world of prospecting baseball players, the new regime seems to have a better handle on the concept….from the owner on down.
- Here is a small but telling article regarding Hayden Simpson and how/why he was drafted in the first round. Still shaking my head…..that damn Crane Kenney!
- Each pick in the first 10 rounds of the draft now has a value assigned to it. You can go under, but if you go over you will get penalized. An Article explaining that is here.
- Here is a reason why the Cubs may pass on some of the popular players like Appel, or Gray.
- Read VFTB’s very own Holden Clark and his take on the Cubs potential picks beyond the first round.
- Here is a blurb on the top pitchers in this years draft.
- As Bleacher Report likes to do, here is another Top 10……this time it’s “who could be the Boom or Bust signings of the 2013 draft“….how about all of them?
- This is a take on the top position players in the draft.
- The potential top pick failed a drug test recently.
That should get you started. Draft coverage on the MLB Network starts at 6:00pm EST on June 6th.