A friend of mine likened the current iteration of the Cubs to a person going through a cleanse. The steps vary depending on the seriousness of the cleanse. First you purge the toxic or harmful entities. You then go through treatment, and soon after, a recovery. You need a recovery period from what I am told. You don’t want to take down a cheeseburger with your first meal back in the saddle. I feel as though the Cubs are somewhere between the treatment stage and recovery stage, and we are feeling the pain, agony, and discomfort of the process as fans. The Cubs are a baseball version of the cleanse if you will, and most people who go through a cleanse are tortured by the process. Some people will actually tell you they enjoy the process of a cleanse. These are people I don’t trust. However, when things get bad, sometimes you need to erase everything and start over no matter how unpleasant it may be.
Throughout this cleanse it has become hard to sit through games, torturous even. Monday nights game against the Reds might have been the pinnacle. If anybody told me I would be watching Kevin Gregg piggyback a Carlos Marmol effort again in my lifetime, I would have told them to keep smoking what they are smoking and eventually they will pass out. I know there is a plan here, buried under the heap that is our bullpen, but Kevin Gregg? When they signed him it was like a cruel trick. I thought somebody hacked the Baseball Trade Rumors site. The first thing I thought to do was check and see who projects as the number one draft pick in the 2014 Draft. I was sure that’s what we were going for with these savvy moves.
Nonetheless, Marmol was shockingly good (over two innings!) and Gregg walked one but came out unscathed. That’s three innings of pure magic right there. Cap that off with a Valbuena 2 run dinger in the 13th and your set, right? right???
The pain and agony of the cleanse ticks on…..only a year or so left I guess.
- If you thought it was bad that the Cubs picked up Kevin Gregg, ask Tigers fans what they are thinking about Jose Valverde’s return to the D.
- The Marlins and Twins were snowed out. Jose Fernandez has never seen snow….until now. Nothing like a mid-April Blizzard to warm the cockles.
- Not good news on the injury front for Baltimore. This kid can throw and was supposed to be the future ace of that rotation.
- Joe Maddon is either awesome, crazy, or both.
- Remember the ball Josh Hamilton dropped to give the A’s the AL West last year? Just sold for $1280…..this could be the signal that tips the economy.
We’ll do the NL next time, but in its place…..
Tweet of the week….
Here is a tweet I never thought I would see the likes of again…..
Gregg strikes out Votto…final cubs 4-2…postgame blogs etc going up…Marmol the win, Gregg the save
— Jesse Rogers (@ESPNChiCubs) April 24, 2013
I will say this, how many games has Marmol won through suckage? I think he leads the league right now in blown save wins, which should be a SABR stat of some sort.