We’re on the home stretch now. Yesterday was the first day of spring and even though in my neighborhood it’s still feeling mighty wintery, I know meaningful baseball is right around the corner and that makes me happy. I have a feeling it makes you happy too!
- Lizzie = A funny, timely quote made on the VFTB site by our writers or commenters.
- Lizard = The best Lizzie.
- MVL = Most Valuable Lizzie’er: The person with the most Lizzies in the period under review (usually the past two weeks.)
- Top 10 of 2013 = The folks with the most aggregate Lizzie points YTD (1 point for every Lizzie, 3 points for every Lizard.)
As you already know, this is all completely subjective and according to my whims.
- Midway through spring training and we have 5 people vying for the last three spots in Lizzie’s Top Ten. It should be quite the race.
- For a guy who has no use for science, you certainly have a lot use for science.
- I, like my Montana based friend, try to say something funny every time, thus fewer comments to cull from. Damn my high moral fiber.
- we need all the third basing we can get.
- TGIF, no news and we all know no news is good news, particularly for us Cub fans who are afraid to find out who comes up lame next.
- If I was a gambler, I’d put my money on Norm being busy being a dad who is tired of our bullshit. I’d also wager that Tommy got nabbed by Chris Hanson.
- Talked to Norm today. He’s been busy searching for Chris from Illinois.
- And I highly doubt that Lizzie is Carrie Muskat. Lizzie is much more thoughtful than she is
- One game this year, one of the coaches fed the machine due to a lack of healthy bodies. Bastard actually fielded the position.
- It’s a weekly.
- I’d like to say Happy Birthday to my mom. If it weren’t for her, this post would be impossible.
- Does your Mom read this Blog? Is She Lizzie?
- I believe Joe learned how to blog from his mom, the beat writer at cubs.com. Whether or not she and Lizzie are one and the same has yet to be determined.
- Lizzie’s frisky, but not THAT frisky
- Indiana is not that far from Kentucky…
- Brett Jackson making the opening day roster would be a huge mistake. You refine skills by playing every day in the minors, not riding pine in the majors.
- Was this Norm’s scheduled day to write? Perhaps we should get a kickstarter going to hire a P.I..
- Seymour may be a culinary bore but at least he doesn’t start fights with pitching machines and 70 year old stock brokers which is a plus in my book.
- 3B is a soul-sucking vacuum this year.
- The state of 3B throughout baseball is a sad state of affairs.
- [Ramirez’s] overall body of work easily places him among my favorite Cubs since I’ve been conscious enough to follow them.
- It’ll probably be something more prospecty than MLB rostery. And yes, I did just invent two words.
- Welcome Joe to the Ian Stewart bandwagon. There is now a grand total of 2 of us.
- Yesterday we talked about the return of Ian Stewart, who was scheduled to make his spring debut. How did it go? It didn’t. Dude didn’t play.
- I have essentially no optimism that any of the Cubs’ 3B options this season will work. I think that Stewart will fail over the first 2 months, then Valbuena will fail over the next month and a half, then Vitters will fail over the next month and a half, then Lake will fail over the final month and a half. But, considering I flat out don’t think Vitters or Lake are ready yet, I think the Stewart option presents a higher potential upside, no matter how minimal the odds of him are to reach that upside, than the Valbuena option does.
- Well said. You should get a job in the organization.
- We should pool our talents and take a run at this thing.
- I’ll whip up a resume for a Mr Senoah Whiteswan. Sounds native american, may have a leg up.
- Can I get in on this action? Every party needs a pooper and that’s why you invite me.
- Yes you can. You will be Noah-Swan’s adviser. Kind of like Jed is to Theo.
- You don’t need a resume, everybody on VFTB is already an expert.
- My Baby got back
- I’m sexy and I know it
- Amazing grace how sweet the sound that saved a wretch like me.
- The ladies haven’t been digging the chauvinism so Dave Sappelt provided a long ball but the Cubs lost. And the ladies still don’t dig him…
- Stand back…I know science.
- I love hitting in the desert, the ball goes farther, post game steaks are juicier and Seymour look so funny with SFP50 spread all over his face.
- That’s probably mayo.
- I’m confused, are Spring training stats meaningless or do they mean something?
- You use stats from spring training when it helps you make your point and disregard them when it disagrees with your view.
- I’m putting my money on HeRo to make the team.
- Pretty much spot-on regarding the bullpen, as much as the idea of Carlos Coleman continuing to work as a starter makes me sort of nauseous.
- Last season, we had Volstad (very tall) and Campana (very short) who weren’t very good at playing baseball.
- So we should just line everybody up according to size, like when we took our school pictures, and choose our lineups. Small guys bat first large guys last
- That’s what she said.
- Thanks for the summary. I enjoy reading the articles you guys post, and the peanut gallery of commenters to the articles are both funny and intelligent.
A big shout out to the following readers who submitted their first 2013 Lizzie. We’re so happy to have you here!
- Still Curious
- Congratulations to jswanson the Most Valuable Lizzie’er this time around!
Top Ten of 2013 (one point for each Lizzie, three points for the Lizard)
(In honor of the coming of spring, I’ll post the full 2013 standings this time.)
2. Seymour Butts
3. Doc Raker
4. Eddie von White
5. Jedi Johnson
6. Joe Aiello
8. Noah Eisner
11. cap’n obvious
13. Jerry in Wisconsin
15. Doug S.
16. Dusty Baylor
16. Jeremiah Johnson
16. Tom C
22. Dous Entendre
22. Hugh Hefner
22. Josh H
22. Just Curious
22. Still Curious
I’ve been soliciting suggestions all off-season long for our Saturday morning
filler Go column, and I’ve received more than I can use. That column will be coming to a close once the season starts, so I thought I’d use one of my favorite overflow submissions for my GirlieView chit chat today. This is from our pal gymjok! Have fun with it!
- Which Cub (present or former) do you most resemble?
Enjoy your weekend!