And there you have it. 2012 is all but in the books and we made it through another tough Cubs season … the worst since before I was born in fact. And yet we’re all still here, enjoying the banter and yes, just a wee bit excited already for 2013! I’d like to take the opportunity to thank you for your wit and wisdom this past year. And I wish all of you a wonderful 2013.
Some admin stuff … this is the final GirlieView of the year. Full 2012 stats are shown below, and include comments through December 24. The scoring slates were wiped clean on Christmas morning and the final days of 2012 will be rolled into 2013. Good luck to all!
- Lizzie = A funny, timely quote made on the VFTB site by our writers or commenters.
- Lizard = The best Lizzie.
- MVL = Most Valuable Lizzie’er: The person with the most Lizzies in the period under review (usually the past two weeks)
- Top 10 of 2012 = The folks with the most aggregate Lizzie points YTD (1 point for every Lizzie, 3 points for every Lizard)
As you already know, this is all completely subjective and according to my whims. Let’s go!
- as bad as this last year or so has been for this team, you know for a fact that all of us will be super excited come opening day, even if it’s just for that day.
- Bring on the Cubs and their dysfunctions!
- In the article we are reminded that Alf vetoed a trade to the WS champs last fall. This may make him more receptive to moving on this year. A poll of patients in the waiting room yielded no solid majority.
- Do you own any of his videos? The Shark Does Houston, Jugs and My Fast Balls- a cult classic.
- Soriano to the Phillies. Joe, that was not very nice. You should say you’re Sori for that.
- I think the Cubs should sign me. I just got a cortisone shot in my arm for elbow tendonitis. My upside is that I could become like the kid from Rookie of the Year. I’ll sign for the league minimum. No harm done.
- In the word of Marv Albert: “Yesssssssssss!!”
- In other words of Marv Albert: “I’m a biter”
- Couldn’t sneeze, couldn’t cough, couldn’t blow my nose – that is snot any fun.
- Doc, I’m just saying a quick goodbye to my son, my mansion, and my robot butler. Be there soon.
- We got work to do Jeremiah.
- …looks like I’ll finish in arrears to Butts
- It turns out I’m not comfortable with a Johnson directly over my shoulder.
- Beats being surrounded by Johnsons alone with Raker
- Or having one in your arrears?
- Lizzie seems to favor those that are short and quick. You’ve got nothing to worry about.
- Why thank you, you must have spoken with Raker.
- Six inch BLT’s on Seymour! On tuscan rustic toasted.
- I am married so avoiding shopping at Christmas costs too much!
- I thought Justin was already neutered.
- I don’t really like 5-year deals for pitchers. The injury risk is just too great.
- Like in years 4 and 5 when Anibal becomes Annabelle
- What? Is that Justin Bieber guy gonna neuter him too?
- That Bieber thing was ill-conceived…whoever was collecting $2,500 per testis apparently isn’t familiar with the following equation: 0 x $2,500 = 0
- What time is it? It’s hug time!
- I am thankful my family is safe and healthy and I will say prayers to help those families struck by such evil.
- I have a wife who doesn’t put up with my crap.
- And, I am thankful for our VFTB family who because of and in spite of our differing views, add insight, entertainment, challenge, and laughter to my day, every day.
- You can’t legislate away the crazy people, no matter how enticing that sounds.
- if they miss the playoffs after starting 7-1 (and it seems likely that they will) I doubt Lovie Smith and his coaching staff will avoid the metaphorical guillotine.
- ever notice how Lizzie’s avatar sort of looks like Carrie Muskat? Huh. Interesting…
- Yes of course, One Direction. You dig them too?
- Is that the band Drew Breeze is in?
- Jim Rockford got himself into another mess with the police, with a little nifty PI work he was able to get out of it but not with many twists and turns. I think Jimbo should work in the Cubs front office. Jimbo would get some trades done.
- You must do the honorable thing to save face Lizziesan.
- You two should do a regular offering in which you argue about former Cubs. I’d like to hear some bickering about DeRo…maybe a little Michael Barrett spat.
- You want to moderate that?
- Fresh out of gavels. Sorry man.
- Perhaps you’re confused about ‘top’ vs ‘bottom’ or is it just a healthy desire to keep that chip on your shoulder.
- It sure would be a better world if we all could do a better job of not judging, criticizing or sending hate mail to someone who is simply expressing their feelings, whether you agree with them or not.
- what can I do to make it a better world?
- Be kind to people and handle your shit. Nothing unreasonable…that’s it.
- There is nothing offensive about exploring your own beliefs. The only thing that is offensive is the point of view that those who don’t share your particular brand of belief, is evil.
- We should do onto others as you would have them do onto you because it is the right way to live.
- A wise man once said two hours ago, “Be kind to people and handle your shit.”
- I also want to thank Joe for allowing us this forum to discuss such issues. We will never all agree but the respectful exchange of ideas and views is much appreciated and cathartic for me. I am thankful for all my VFTB friends and wish you all a Merry Christmas and to Seymour a very Happy Festivus.
- Great post and greater conversation.
- I’m flying on the 21st, so if the Mayan’s are right, it’s been a pleasure to know you all. If they are wrong, more banter to follow.
- Right or wrong, I’d be offended if you didn’t double up on the cheese and add bacon to your airport sub just in case.
- Maybe even an E Jax
- I don’t think E Jax is gonna fly as a nickname.
- It didn’t feel right when I typed it.
- It always surprises me how people who live in the Midwest can forget how to drive in snow even though it snows every year.
- If you’re keeping score at home–and let’s face it, you’re reading a Cubs blog in the dead of the offseason on what’s likely your last day in the office before Christmas, so you probably are–that gives the Cubs plenty of options with which to craft their starting rotation.
- I wish pitchers and catchers were reporting next week.
- and yes, I did consider bolting from work and heading down there to stalk Garza and his family around the Happiest Place on Earth
- I don’t think it has to be one or the other-nice person or winner.There is more than one way of getting something done. One can accomplish more sometimes BY treating others right. A small example is right here on this site. When trying to be a “winner” in a debate we can”not give a damn about anyone’s feelings”,or we can treat people right and actually have a better chance of the other person seeing our different point of view. We all can choose how we phrase our response when we click that reply.
- you don’t have to be jerk to win.
- I thought Lizzie was hitting the nog early…
- I heard the best answer to where was God when all this happened. He was standing next to us accepting these beautiful children and adults into His loving care.
Congratulations to jswanson the Most Valuable Lizzie’er this time around, AND the Most Valuable Lizzie’er of 2012!
2012 Final Standings
1. jswanson – 135
2. Jeremiah Johnson – 125
3. Doc Raker – 124
4. Seymour Butts – 113
5. Jedi Johnson – 111
6. cap’n Obvious – 55
7. Buddy – 53
7. Joe Aiello – 53
9. Chuck – 45
10. Eddie Von White – 44
11. Josh Cornwall – 30
12. Doug S. – 28
13. Dustin Godsey – 27
14. Chet – 26
15. Katie – 21
16. gymjok – 20
16. Norm – 20
18. Noah – 15
19. wisconsinjpc – 13
20. Rich Beckman – 12
21. flyslinger2 – 11
22. Verncrowe5 – 10
23. Kris – 9
23. Timothy Scarbrough – 9
25. BLPCB – 6
The following folks had five points each:
These folks had four points each:
Jerry in Wisconsin
Three apiece for these people:
Two Lizzie’s each for these commenters:
chris in illinois
And last but by no means least, a special shout out to these fine folks, each of whom contributed a Lizzie in 2012. Thank you for speaking up!
Jeremy The Kid Johnson
Thanks again to everyone! I’m very much looking forward to 2013!
My mom used to (make us) do this thing at the end of every year where we would list the three best things that happened to us the prior year, and the three worst things. In most cases the three good things would be much easier to think of than the three bad things thus reinforcing her intended lesson almost every year. It’s a thought provoking little New Year’s tradition if you’d like to try it. But, I’m not here to ask you to share your private and personal 2012. Instead, let’s think of the one best thing about the 2012 Cubs and the one (yes, just one) worst thing. What are your choices?