I was at work this week and since October 31 is just around the corner, we have some candy in a dish up front in the office. I grabbed myself a fun size Starburst and headed back to my desk to open it. There’s something mysterious about the fun size because you know going into it that you’re not going to get every flavor like you would with a full pack or a bag. When you choose your package of two bursts, you don’t know what’s underneath that outer packaging. It might be two pinks (aka heaven) or it might be two yellows (aka bupkis). Today I got a red and a pink so I consider it a success. It got me thinking about how much I love Halloween candy. Growing up, our street was fairly secluded so we never got any kids to come to the door and beg for candy. The first year we moved into the house my mom bought bags and bags of candy in preparation for the big night and when all was said and done, we got one doorbell ring….the neighbor kid. What did that mean? It meant that the mounds of candy my brother and I scavenged from the neighborhood was supplemented by the undonated stash my mom had bought. Let’s just say that was no lapse in candy coverage from Halloween to Easter. Those were the days. Now to the news.
Since we’ve really not talked about the Cubs much at all this week in the news, perhaps now would be a good time to start that practice. It is, after all, a Cubs blog.
- The Arizona Fall League kicked off on Tuesday and our very own, Javier Baez, had himself a double and a home run. He did also strike out in his two other at bats, but I’ll take that kind of day any time. Baez is playing for the Mesa Solar Sox. John Sickels of MinorLeagueBall had a writeup on some names to watch this year in the fall league, with Baez and Matt Szczur making the list for the Cubs.
- Blake DeWitt has opted for minor league free agency. Peace out, brah. Joining him from the Cubs was Alex Hinshaw.
- Gordon Wittenmeyer had an article the other day that said he felt. the Cubs would need to add 2-3 arms to the rotation just to even be respectable. Two names he mentioned were Shawn Marcum and Anibal Sanchez. What the article said after that, I couldn’t tell you. That was enough to make me stop reading. It’s not that those guys aren’t good pitchers, but it just doesn’t excite me to dip into free agency for that.
- Washington State’s head football coach is on my favorite list. If you’re not familiar with him, he went on a rant a few years ago about his player’s girlfriends. It’s must listen to. He’s at it again in reference to his current group of seniors “Some of them have had kind of this zombie-like, go through the motions, everything is like how it’s always been, that’s how it’ll always be. Some of them quite honestly have an empty-corpse quality. That’s not pleasant to say or pleasant to think about, but that’s a fact.”. Mike Leach, you’re my hero.
- Pete Rose went on record saying that he didn’t think that Derek Jeter would be able to break his all time hit record, to which I say…who cares?
- What the heck is wrong with people in the fashion business?