What Went Right
- Paul Maholm threw eight innings of one run baseball. Only one walk as well. It’s amazing what happens when a pitcher throws strikes.
- Alfonso Soriano swatted home run number 18. I still don’t think he’s tradable, but I’d love to be wrong about that.
- Reed Johnson, Jeff Baker, Lil’ Darwin Barney each added two hits.
- The Cubs are 14-5 in their last 19 games.
- No errors for the good guys.
What Went Wrong
- Carlos Marmol gave up a run in the ninth, and yes he walked a batter.
- Starlin Castro didn’t get a hit or draw a walk. That lowers his 2012 on-base percentage to .308.
- The Cubs didn’t win 24-0.
Is It Just Me?
I’ll say it again…I really dislike the Miami Marlins. Their uniforms are hideous. The new ballpark is worse. I can’t stand Ozzie Guillen. And then there’s Carlos Zambrano. The Marlins subpar 2012 has been enjoyable to watch, especially after they flushed millions of dollars down the toilet in the offseason.
Now all we need is a major Ozzie Guillen meltdown to complete the set. I’m talking about a tantrum that would make the “Real Housewives of Orange County” turn the channel in disgust. If history has taught us anything, it’s only a matter of time.
In case I offended any “Fighting Fish” fans, here’s a little Florida/Miami trivia: Who is the Marlins’ career leader in doubles?