We’ve got a few administrative details to tend to before we get going. First, someone asked about guidelines for how I pick the Lizzies. They are here, if you’re interested. Also just so you know the timing, I work a bit in advance. This post (published Thursday) considers most comments posted through Tuesday. Wednesday and onward will be in the group reviewed next time. Sometimes my cutoff is Monday, sometimes Wednesday. But rest assured, nothing gets skipped. 🙂
Next, I promised last time I’d keep track of everyone’s NFL divisional playoff picks. Ten people played, and no one got all four games correct. I, on the other hand, managed to get all four games INcorrect, the only person with such a distinction. Yay me! Buddy, Joe, and Rich Beckman each went 3/4. Doug S, gymjok, BLPCB, Kris, flyslinger2 and Jeremiah Johnson each picked 2 of the 4 games correctly. Thanks for playing!
Onto the Lizzies! We’ve got 65 of them this time around plus one big Lizard. Your productivity scares me a little bit, especially since it’s supposed to be the quiet, boring part of the year. By the time the season starts we’ll be cracking a hundred!
- Barry (no, not that one) Heads to Cooperstown
- Replacing Garza with Maholm is like replacing a Corvette with a Camry. Sure, they are both cars, both have 4 wheels, both begin with the letter “C”. However, a Camry is NOT a Corvette.
- Wood in the bullpen at a reasonable price is money well spent.
- I was hoping nobody else was elected yesterday as I wanted it to be solely a Santo fest in July.
- Everyone knows we’re not competing this year, right??
- My guess is Wood gets signed and they’re waiting for the convention so it can be announced there.
- If those are our rotation options, I kind of want to cry.
- Is Carlos Silva cheap this year?
- I’m already seeing a number of upsides: 1) I don’t have to cringe everytime someone calls Zambrano our “Ace”.
- Good luck with Koyie Hill, Cardinal fans!
- The Cards are smart enough not use him as much as the Cubs did.
- Cardinals luck – Watch Hill become a star
- when the best you can say is “I was better than Juan Pierre and Jacque Jones” it’s probably best not to say anything.
- Moral- teach your kids how to play middle infield in case they grow up to have no power.
- Kerry Wood is smart , well centered and a class act.
- My data to support my theory is based on the number of naps my lazy chocolate lab has snuck into this beautiful spring day here on the east coast.
- I have a yellow lab that could go nap-for-nap with yours. One particularly slow day in my home office last year, I counted 17 naps for my big boy.
- It is nice to see the Cubs keeping Wood. There is a rightness about that.
- Love the fact that Bruce Miles gets a Lizzie despite having never commented or probably even read the site. I started the site and can’t even outscore him.
- The Capns 2.0 LPC (Lizzie Per Comment) stat is pretty impressive. The Capn pulled in 2 Lizzies on one comment. Keep up that pace and the Capn can be epic. On the other hand Buddy made 7 Lizzies with 10,849 comments giving him a .00064522 LPC. So I ask you, who would you draft for your fantasy Lizzie team?
- I’d draft Chris from IL.
- Buddy drafting Chris from Il and Norm is like buying 1 stock with your nest egg. Your fantasy Lizzie team should have some diversity of thought for success.
- 1 AWESOME stock!
- I’m happy to announce that Mr. Kris and I are expecting Baby Numero Uno in late July!
- Dude, you’ve got some big brass ones for admitting that you still listen to Boyz II Men.
- That’s why the ladies love me.
- in a realated story, Dr. Pepper and 12 different coffee companies want to sponsor Marlins baseball now…
- I just picked up a slightly used Michael Barrett. Maybe we can put the two together and see what happens?
- It was silly but I always liked ALF.
- some of the other “upgrades” that will be included for 2012…$21 beers, the basket will be turned into a urinal so fans don’t have to leave their seats, and the first 10,000 fans on opening day will be given helmets to protect them from falling cement.
- Best of luck to Mr. Cub John Grabow…big thanks for the memories and dominance on the mound.
- What about Mark Prior? He seems to capture the modern Cubs better than anyone. So much promise, an impossibly short period of dominance, followed by utter disappointment and failure.
- Just noticed you mentioned Manny Trillo, Jedi. I think that was the name of one of Buddy’s bands in college
- Yes. The Manny Trillo Experience. We rocked.
- By far the best game of the weekend was the down-to-the-wire shootout between the Saints and the 49ers.
- Interestingly they had only 2 regular starting pitchers that ’83 year. One threw 473 innings and the other 383. Today’s lads must don women’s underwear.
- Apparently he knows a trick or two about keeping the old ticker going for 150 years.
- Lizzie will be happy to know that Geo will be back, signing for 4.3 million dollars.
- People will actually have to be baseball fans to truly appreciate this season. They will actually have to see what is going on beneath the top layer to enjoy 2012.
- The owners (and the neighborhood) will just have to enjoy the Red Roof Inn for a while as they wait for their dream home of the future.
- If there’s one thing I hate, it’s meaningless sucking.
- I love it that I can read about the Cubs, Roseanne Barr and eating paint all in one place.
- I’ve got to say, “It’s B.S.” doesn’t make for a very compelling acceptance speech.
- Albuquerque Isotopes has always been a favorite as well as the Blue Claws with their marketing tee shirts, ‘Got Crabs’.
- The shocking thing about the Rob Lowe thing is that anyone even found out about his tweet. That must mean people actually follow Rob Lowe on Twitter…
- Bud Selig, fresh off his most recent “I’m going to retire” contract extension saga, will be in charge of sorting out the requisite compensation.
- I say give them Soriano for free
- And while he is there, he strips the Red Sox team and gives them our junk
- By the time the Super Bowl rolls around there’s a distinct “just play the game already” attitude due to the overwhelming two weeks of analysis. But this week, we get two great games that could easily go either way.
- Cubs were still in the denial phase and it wouldnt have been a real crowd pleaser to put a nobody in there.
- Just play a recording of Harry (before the stroke) and call it good.
- I’m fine with the anthem as long as it’s done relatively straight up. “Artists” who attempt to personalize it too much can be annoying.
- I wonder if the editor regrets his knee-jerk resignation now?
- The Giants and Patriots have the same colors, as such, the NFL only needs one set of confetti for the game.
- If there are aging cardiologists and optometrists that are better for their age in the country, I’d like to see them play.
- Cap’n Obvious, trying to overcome nearly 175 years of blatant discrimination against lefties by playing a nearly error-free game at shortstop, which, incidentally, was integral to Raker’s mound performance.
- Seymour explaining to me that he refers to Doc Raker here on VFTB as just “Raker” because, “he’s not a real doctor.”
- Stay classy Nick.
- Obvious also spent the entire weekend, in an effort to fit in with other under-achieving superstars of his generation, referencing himself in the 3rd person.
- The Captain does have game however, and was not nearly as inept as the more or less constant dugout banter would have one believe.
- I still think Doc and crew should get a guest post each year to run through their weekend triumphs.
- At some point, there will be some youtube video of some of the events, I’m told. It will likely not be PG rated.
- He replies, “Doc”, because Obvious understands MD’s aren’t the only doctors in the world
- I don’t think I go the distance on a grilled turkey and cheese sandwich.
- Jeremiah, this was a no brainer for me. Best thing I’ve read since Sherm’s Singalong. It really is fantastic and if anyone missed it, it’s well worth the read: The Carlos Zambrano Owner’s Manual
2012 Overall Standings (1 point for each Lizzie, 3 points for the Lizard)
- Buddy – 12
- cap’n Obvious – 11
- Doc Raker – 10
- jswanson – 10
- Jeremiah Johnson – 9
- Seymour Butts – 8
- Chuck – 5
- Jedi Johnson – 5
- Kris – 5
- BLPCB – 4
- Doug S. – 3
- Dustin Godsey – 3
- Chet – 3
- chris in illinois – 2
- JoeAiello – 2
- Norm – 2
- Thirteen others have 1 apiece.
Congrats to the following folks who got their first 2012 Lizzie this week!
- Mark P.
- Rich Beckman
This will be the last GirlieView before the Super Bowl, so here are a few more crowd pleasers of the salty and sweet variety.
- Garlic Pretzels (salty)
- Bugles ‘n’ Stuff Snack Mix (salty)
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Brownies (sweet)
- Chocolate Saltines (sweet + salty)
So, here goes! Make your Super Bowl pick. Pick the winning team and also just for the heck of it (and so I can determine a winner) give us a total score (add together for both teams). As usual I’ll keep track and report back!