Dodgers 7 – Cubs 3
What Went Wrong
Carlos Zambrano allowed five runs in the top of the first. Falling behind that early in a game makes it difficult to win. Z left after allowing six total runs in five innings. His ERA is now 5.28 as all five Cubs starters continue to struggle.
Alfonso Soriano, Aramis Ramirez and Marlon Byrd all struck out in the first inning. The Cubs scored twice in the frame but had a chance for more. When Soriano struck out with runners at second and third to end the inning with the Dodgers leading 5-2, it was an early turning point in the game.
Darwin Barney and Starlin Castro each committed errors. Castro’s blunder led to an unearned run. Miscues at the big league level are never a good thing, but when these two guys commit errors it makes Cubs fans particularly uncomfortable.
Castro went 0-for-4, his worst performance of the season.
Former Cub Aaron Miles posted three hits to help set the stage for the middle part of the LA order.
What Went Right
Darwin Barney had another solid day at the dish, going 2-for-5 with an RBI. He now has driven in 11 runs this season and has boosted his average to .329.
- Justin Berg retired the side in order in his season debut. After a rough spring training, it is important for the right hander to get off to a good start with the big club.
- The Cubs offense was not silent in the thrashing. It totaled ten hits, with multi-hit Easter Sundays turned in by Kosuke Fukudome, Barney, Ramirez and Marlon Byrd.
News & Notes
- Today was Zambrano’s first loss since last August.
- It is not official, but it looks like the Cubs are leaning toward giving James Russell another start on Tuesday. He worked a side session this weekend and be treated more like a starter this time around. The Cubs hope that this will lead to better results.
- The Cubs are now 0-4 on Sundays this season. However, they are 3-0 on Mondays entering tomorrow night’s battle with the Rockies.
- Quade showed a little fire today, arguing with third base umpire Jeff Nelson about whether or not Jerry Sands legally tagged on a fly ball before scoring in the first inning.
Stars of the Game
Based on Win Probability Added (WPA)
1st Star – Aaron Miles (.155 WPA)
2nd Star – Hiroki Kuroda (.091 WPA)
3rd Star– Matt Kemp (.090 WPA)
Official Recap Standings
Buddy 3-0 (1.00)
Joe 5-5 (.500)
Mark 2-2 (.500)
Chet 0-1 (.000)
Brandon 0-3 (.000)