Cubs 2 – Dodgers 12
What Went Right
- Kosuke Fukudome had a nice day, reaching base four out of five times with three hits and a walk out of the leadoff spot. That spot in the order continues to be one of the most effective not only for our team, but it the league. In 19 games this year, the Cubs lead the Majors by a ton in the leadoff on base percentage. Currently Cubs leadoff men have posted a .511 OBP. The problem is that it hasn’t transferred into them being above everyone in the leadoff runs. Hopefully that will come.
- Carlos Pena didn’t strike out. Sad that this makes the list, but it’s all about some baby steps for Carlos in his quest to be a valuable hitter in the offense. Thank God he plays well defensively.
- John Grabow pitched….OK. Normally anything mentioning Grabow goes in the next section according to the memo I sent out to everyone about writing recaps, but today that wasn’t the case. He was the only guy to actually pitch effectively in the game and that means he’s probably not available in Saturday’s game.
What Went Wrong
- The game didn’t get rained out. I recorded the game, went out for dinner with my family after working, and then turned on the game only to be greeted by a rain delay. I wonder if I had set the DVR long enough in case they started. Now, I wish I hadn’t.
- Casey Coleman had a rough outing. Mark commented that it was time to get him out of the rotation, which I think is ASININE (Like the spam word use in the post?) Have we forgotten that Coleman went 4-2 with a 3.33 ERA last year in the eight starts to close out the year and has only had one terrible outing of the three this year? James Russell is a different animal. I’m gonna be patient with Coleman for now.
I don’t like to dwell on a loss, so let’s come out in the Zambrano start today and get back on the trail of winning the series. We’ve done a good job with that this year so let’s do it again.
Stars of the Game
Based on Win Probability Added (WPA)
1st Star – Andre Ethier (.134 WPA)
2nd Star – Chad Billingsly (.117 WPA)
3rd Star– A.J. Ellis (.086 WPA)
Official Recap Standings
Buddy 3-0 (1.00)
Joe 5-5 (.500)
Mark 1-2 (.333)
Chet 0-1 (.000)
Brandon 0-2 (.000)