Good morning! Happy “Baseball Has Begun” day! I suppose we could have celebrated this yesterday but not until after 2:05p.m. central. So we’ll celebrate today instead so we can get in a full day of festivities! A good holiday to all! Don’t miss our discussion question after the Lizzies.
But first, speaking of the Lizzies, thanks to our pal Doc Raker’s suggestion we’ll be having a Lizzie Game this season. The rules are simple, you’ll get one point per Lizzie and three points per Lizard and we’ll keep tabs all season long. We’ll begin the tally with the first GirlieView posted after the season begins, and end with the first GirlieView posted after the conclusion of the World Series (regardless of whether the Cubs are actually involved in said series!) Between now and then I’ll be posting some tips to increase your Likely Lizzie Percentage – LLP (thanks MJ!) and eventually I’ll announce some prizes. No need to sign up or pay-to-play … this isn’t the State of Illinois for heaven’s sake! (ha!! I saved up that joke all week long just so I could crack myself up on a Monday morning!) … all you have to do to play is, well, make a comment! Obviously the more comments you make, the more likely you are to be awarded a Lizzie, thereby increasing your score. More to come on the game in future columns. For now, on to the Lizzies for this past week!
- My dark horse candidate is Soto.
- When the Cubs are leading the division at the All Star break, they bust out the playoff fu-manchus.
- And here is hoping all my prediction are wrong
- Zambrano couldn’t lead a 5 year old into Disneyland
- I liken good catchers as the baseball QB. Would be great to see Soto improve and emerge as a leader.
- being Lizzie-worthy is something that just happens. If you try to manipulate the time frame to include a good week of yours it become too small a sample size. A small sample size may please your wife, but it’s not going to get you thru the season.
- Of course it is completely up to Liz since she is the all empowered Lizzie ruler, and a wonderful one at that!
- I’ve got a high Likely Lizzie Percentage (LLP).
- Tune in tomorrow for more fun, same time same channel.
- Hi, my name is Sam, and I was a Charlie Hough fan. I acknowledge how my fandom has affected those dearest to me.
- the Cubs new head coach planted his first stake in the ground bouncing Carlos Zambrano from the opening day starter roll in favor of Ryan Dempster.
- One can be sure behind closed doors it lit a small fire under his ass.
- Dempster is that shot of tequila when you need to even things out and Zambrano is a can of Red Bull that pumps energy into the game.
- From a tactical standpoint I don’t think being the #1 or #2 guy makes any difference…From a clubhouse standpoint it could have a big impact.
- What I am happy about is that this is perhaps a sign that Quade will do what he wants instead of taking the team down the same path.
- If Z thinks he’s a #1 and he feels he’s been slighted, then it does matter to him. If Dempster feels he’s earned the #1 and doesn’t get it, it does matter to him. They’re pros, but they’re people, and token honors like this can affect their performance if it sets their minds right. I’m with Quade on this one — I think he made the right call.
- let’s all shave our eyebrows in support of Quade.
- Last year I added a beer gut in support of Lou Piniella. Now I have to shave my eyebrows? It’s a lot of work being a Cubs fan!
- If it’s alright with the rest of you, I don’t want to know what you are all shaving in honor of Q.
- It’s weird because in my heart, I don’t believe this team will be very good, but I’m dying to watch.
- If Augie and Wellemeyer both make the roster, we will know that the Cubs are well-positioned to make a run at the 2007 World Series.
- One could argue that with Woody and Reed on the roster, we are well-positioned to win the 2008 NL Central.
- Cardinals fans would be angry enough if they lost him in the offseason, but trading him to the Cubs mid-season would be like the team officially giving their fans the bird.
- The only reason I believe the Cubs and Pujols were ever even mentioned in the same breath is that Hendry is the only NL GM stupid enough to give a 31 year old giant corner infielder 10 years guaranteed.
- 50 bucks and my right nut says he ends up in Anaheim if or when the Cardinal season is toast.
- If he refuses a trade AND doesn’t resign with the Cardinals people in St. Louis are gonna hate him, Cleveland style.
- Do the nice thing, Jim. Give the Cards Todd Wellemeyer, Braden Looper and even throw in John Grabow. Heck, we don’t even need payment for them. Consider it a gift.
- How do you approach the loss of your ace? With bitter tears shed into empty pint glasses. I see no other way.
- Crickets chirping in Cardinalville.
- Cardinals luck would say they pick Prior off the scrap heap and he becomes the superstar he was destined to be.
- If we’re not questioning Zambrano’s sanity regardless of how well he is pitching, then we should be questioning our own.
Baseball Has Begun Day Discussion Question
Yesterday’s game was broadcast by WGN Radio for you to pick up via your handy transistor or your Gameday Audio subscription. Did you listen? What were your thoughts on the game? And by “the game” I mean the announcers, the players, the buzz, or the baseball itself, anything you want to mention. Today’s game will also be radio broadcast, 2:05pm CT on WGN 720 or Gameday Audio, vs. our rival pals from Milwaukee! Enjoy!