Good morning! Happy Presidents’ Day! I like writing a column on Monday, many good holidays to celebrate! We can also celebrate the fact that by the time I post next Monday’s column, the Cubs will have played their first Spring Training game! It’s vs. Oakland on Sunday at 2:05pm CT and will be broadcast on WGN Radio. Don’t miss the Presidents’ Day discussion question following the week in review.
Because we’ve got three new commenters qualifying for Lizzies this week, I thought it might be a good time to define them for people who aren’t familiar. “Lizzies” are awarded to the best quotes of the past week, found in the comments section or in other writers’ columns. I pick them myself, hence they are highly subjective and I’m ok with admitting that. :-) I give Lizzies to comments I think are funny, poignant, timely, or those which make a point I’d have liked to make had I thought of it first!! I don’t award Lizzies to myself. The Lizard is the best of the Lizzies … the big winner of the week! There are no prizes. It’s just for fun. Enjoy!
- The only benefit from trading Z is that he makes more money and that would free up cash for other things.
- If we get Bob Newhart in the deal I send off Silva.
- Tanner, Earl Weaver, Sparky Anderson and Tommy LaSorda were all in the same class in my book. True leaders that had longevity and respect from everyone, players, management and fans alike.
- “I got ‘em boxed in like a turtle’s pecker.”
- Who is Justin Bieber?
- I think he’s one of the Muppets.
- Isn’t Bieber the quarterback of the Patriots?
- The Cubs are going to win 105 games in 2011. It’s spring training baby, shoot high, reality will hit soon enough.
- It’s because when I wear [Fukudome’s] jersey people always try to read the name using English phonetics with hilarious results.
- I’m really having trouble imagining this season without Ron Santo.
there doesn’t seem to be any drama like in years past .
- Got one massive pile of pitchers to pick from now, Quade does.
- I have nothing to say about this trade except to say that I have nothing to say about it.
- Pitchers and Catchers report………say it again with feeling……. PITCHERS AND CATCHERS REPORT!!!!……..oh, that felt good.
- like a starving animal trolling a Chicago alley for some kibble, we accept spring training with open arms.
- Now if we could only get the offense to come around.
- [Moreland is] knowledgeable, affable, and humble. And he hates Joe Morgan, but then, who doesn’t.
- Keith has a -1.0 WAR (Wigs Above Ronnie)
- More relevant is WAS, or “Wins Above Jeff Samardzija.”
- It’s called the Cremaster index.
- If there’s a position where you can hide a potent bat, LF is a fine choice. Having said that, the “hop” is simply intolerable.
- If Quade is smart, and I think he is, he’ll rotate his outfielders in a way that maximizes their strengths and limits their weaknesses.
- Let’s hope that they both stay healthy and perform well. Let’s hope that Quade knows how to read them and what to do with them. Let’s hope that the Cubs can pull off a great season in the midst of so many uncertainties.
- My biggest beef with Soriano is his bad pitch recognition and the fact that most pitchers know not to throw him a fastball on the first pitch.
- Would a new pair of glasses help him?
- I know a guy.
- Hope is what ST is all about.
Presidents’ Day Discussion Question
While we honor our early leaders, let’s talk about leadership on the Cubs this season. Who do you feel will emerge as the team’s leaders? I don’t mean the coaching staff, I mean among the players. And, do you feel having good leaders on the roster is essential for a successful season?