There is no other holiday like Thanksgiving. It’s a social holiday. It’s the type of holiday you can end up spending with anybody. It is also the type of holiday that brings out the best in conversation.
It is a great time to reflect or reminisce. Above all, in the end, it is time to give thanks.
However, since we are a Cubs blog, I think it is high time we list a few things we are thankful for as Cubs fans. We spend every other hour of our waking time listing the shortfalls of following the Cubs, why not give some thanks on Thanksgiving Day?
I will kick it off with five things I am thankful for as a Cubs fan……
1) Exciting young players like Starlin Castro, Geovany Soto, and Tyler Colvin.
2) An amazing history (even if part of it has to do with losing for over a decade)
3) Kind of a long one……As a kid in Detroit, I grew up rooting on the Tigers with my dad. In the early nineties things got so bad, with not only the Tigers but baseball itself, that I fell out of love with the game as did my father. In the mid to late nineties I moved to Chicago and found the Cubs. While it took some time to cling on to them as a team, watching them did get me back into the game. Fast forward to 2003…..my dad swore off baseball until he witnessed the playoffs in 2003, with my encouragement of course. While following the Cubs through this emotional, yet exciting post season run, he realized what he was missing. He immediately started following the Tigers again the following season in spring training. For the next four years, up until his passing, we bantered on and on about baseball as if we never missed a beat from my childhood. There is something very strange about the game and the way it can grab a father and son. If it wasn’t for baseball and the Cubs turning my head back to the game, we would have talked plenty, but they helped spice things up a bit.
4) Ernie Banks, Ryne Sandberg, & Ron Santo (to name a few)
5) The fact that I am not a Cardinals fan.
Well, that’s my five in a nutshell, what about you guys?
Happy Thanksgiving everybody!