- Project Prospect mentioned Starlin Castro in their latest “10 Up, 10 Down” article:
“Castro is fresh off a 10-game hitting streak, with multi-hit games in nine of them — he went hitless in a double-header on Sunday. While he could stand to be more patient, his Double-A line to date is very impressive.”
- Baseball America did something fun in their “Ask BA” section. When asked to do first round draft with all the players picked from 2000 to 2009 based on their Major League production so far, they came up with an impressive list. The Cubs pick in this imaginary draft? Adrian Gonzalez.
- I forgot to answer my own question as to if the Cubs would use Samardzija out of the rotation or the pen down in AAA. His recent outing for the Iowa Cubs answered that question. He’s being used out of the pen, which is the best possible move they could make for his development.
- Brad Snyder won PCL player of the week honors and MiLB.com had this to say:
“Cubs farmhand Brad Snyder hasn’t played in the Majors despite an expanded-roster callup with the Indians in 2006 and seven seasons of Minor League experience under his belt. His performance over the last week, though, shows what he’s capable of, and if he hits consistently late into the summer, he may be hard to keep in Triple-A. Although he started the season cold, he’s shaken off that 1-for-18 funk, hitting safely at least once in every game since his slump-busting 2-for-4 day on April 15. On Wednesday, he homered twice and missed the cycle by a triple, driving in four runs. He drove in two more, doubled, stole a base and scored during a 3-for-4 outing the next day.”
Top Players from Monday
- Tony Thomas was 3-for-4 with 3 RBI for the Smokies. He’s not getting the full time starts due to a split with Ryan Flaherty and has now begun to play a little OF
- Ryan Flaherty was 3-for-5 with 3 RBI for the Smokies. He’s a favorite of mine and probably of Marks due to the fact that he’s a Vanderbilt product. I’ve been very dissappointed in his play early on. I had a lot of hope for him to be a guy that could see big league time this year on the infield. He’s gotta step his game up to make that happen.
Just the Smokies last night, which is why the list is so short today.