About Last Night
- For once, perhaps an injury won’t be that big a deal for this team. Admittedly, I enjoy watching Reed Johnson play, and I think he has been a huge addition for this team, but at the same time, I don’t worry about him being out for the next month. I have no doubt that Sam Fuld can do the job in a platoon with Kosuke until Reed comes back. By that time, the rosters will have expanded and both should have a role on this active roster. On the whole, not the end of the world if you ask me.
- Randy Wells needs to get serious consideration for Rookie of the Year. Imagine if we have two straight. We’re on our way to being the Dodgers of the 90’s. Woo Hoo.
- I find it interesting, and it will probably be corrected before the end of the day, that if you look at the pitcher lines for both teams are Yahoo, neither add up to the amount of innings that were pitched. Mitch Atkins pitched 0 innings, but yet the game was still over. The Astros pitched a combined 5 innings of work. That’s awesome.
Minor League Notes
Good to see we don’t have any catchers that are hitting the baseball down in the minors.
- Welington Castillo (CATCHER) hit 2 home runs
- Michael Brenly (CATCHER) was 3-for-5
- Chris Robinson (CATCHER) was 2-for-3 with a walk
- James Leverton only allowed one run in 5.2 innings pitched
- Brett Jackson was 4-for-5
- Ryan Flaherty went 2-for-6 with a triple and three RBI
- Andrew Cashner went another five innings, only allowing 1 run and lowering the AA ERA to 1.09
- Jovan Rosa has been named the Midwest League Player of the Week for the week of July 20-26.
Top Prospect Tracker
Junior Lake is batting .260 with five homers and 24 RBIs in 97 games this season. (Paul R. Gierhart/MiLB.com)