Cubs – Off Day
Since we were off today, let’s take a look a Alfonso Soriano on WWE. Talk about a bomb of a bit considering Soriano doesn’t really speak English that well. He looked like he had absolutely no clue what the crap was going on. (Hat tips go to The Cub Reporter and Big League Stew for posting this as well)
Iowa 12, Salt Lake 3 – (Box Score)
- Jake Fox, despite Dave’s insistence that he’s not a catcher, played catcher and went 2-for-4 with a HR and 4 RBI. I would be willing to give him a shot at the backup catcher / backup 1B on the roster if someone like Geo or Hill got hurt or if Derrek Lee needs to go to the DL
- Kevin Hart tossed 3 scoreless innings of relief that didn’t include a hit. He struck out 5 and hit 2 batters. It would be nice to see him get his act together and be able to come up and help our bullpen.
- Marquez Smith went 6-for-8 on the day with two HR
- First basemen, Blake Lalli pitched 0.2 innings of relief, giving up 2 H, 1 ER, 1 BB and striking out 1.
Daytona 10, Dunedin 3 – (Box Score)
- I can’t seem to figure out what to make of Andrew Cashner. He pitched just two innings of work yesterday as the starter. I just don’t understand how he’s not able to go longer. If the Cubs have aspirations of possibly grooming this guy as a starter, let him stretch it out a little deeper.
- Nate Samson had a nice game, reaching base four times (two BB and two singles) to go with two RBI and two runs scored.
Peoria 10, Beloit 6 – (Box Score)
- Josh Vitters picked up his fourth straight three-hit game and homered for the third game in a row. He also doubled, singled
and finished 3-for-5 with three RBI and two runs scored. He’s showing the power that a lot of people predicted would come as he had experience and it’s becoming apparent that he’s about ready for a promotion to Daytona.
- One of my favorites, Kyler Burke, went 2-for-5 with a double and 2 RBI. On the year, he’s hitting .314, but it’s time for him to make a huge stride forward, considering his age, if he wants to be taken seriously.
David Macias (IF/OF) promoted from Peoria to Iowa (Big Jump!!!)
Jeremy Papelbon (P) has been placed on the disabled list in Tennessee with Jake Muyco (P) promoted from Daytona to take his roster spot
Jake Fox, Iowa – Player of the Week
.556 (15-27), 11 R, 4 2B, 1 3B, 4 HR, 14 RBI, 6 BB, 2 SO, 0 SB, 1.222 SLG
Cubs prospect Jake Fox has been one of the Minors’ top hitters all year, and this past week was no exception. The left fielder — who was also named PCL Player of the Week on April 19 — had an impressive week even by his standards, hitting above .300 in every game. His strongest effort came May 12, when he homered twice and plated five runs. Fox leads the Minors in a handful of offensive categories including batting average, home runs, RBIs, total bases, slugging percentage and runs scored. (Source Suddenly on dvd )
Zambrano Photo from Rehab – Is it just me or does that facial hair creep you out? I’m not diggin’ on it.