I’m ready for a new look at Wrigley. No, not a new stadium, I mean a substantive change that keeps what we love but adds value. What I’m talking about is a retractable roof. Our redheaded stepsister to the north has one and they are a budget-oriented team. So why can’t we or shouldn’t we?
My reasons for making this enhancement are as follows:
- Anybody that’s attended an April game knows it’s cold, if there’s any growth for ticket sales it has to be in the spring;
- More free agents would consider Chicago a friendly destination were it not for the weather;
- No more rainouts, no more day/night doubleheaders, again an attraction for free agents (not to mention out of town fans who want to come to Chicago;)
- The Cubs can afford it and finally,
- It would put to an end the periodic calls for a new stadium.
I love the Wrigleyville neighborhood and a retractable roof might also allay concerns about night games. They could all be played under the roof to minimize concerns about noise. What do y’all think?