The World’s Greatest Living Cubs Fan, my dad, has been living in a SubAcute Rehabilitation Care Facility since early February. We had hoped that he would have been out of there by now, allowing us to have taken a quick roadtrip to Mesa, AZ, but such was not the case.
My dad’s roommate is also a Cubs fan so that’s working out OK. At 1:00 pm today my dad’s roommate asked me to set their TV to Channel 9 so there’d be no chance of them missing the 1st pitch at 3:05pm. That’s a couple of hard core Cubs fans in rehab for you.
So what did they see today?
- They saw a full house at HoHoKam Park.
- They saw Rich Harden not pitching today (he was “under the weather”).
- They saw Geovany Soto catch.
- They saw the Cubs’ leadoff man, Alfonso Soriano, get 2 hits.
- They saw Milton Bradley get caught off 3rd base, then strikeout and single.
- They saw Aramis Ramirez hit a single, fly out and slap a single to center.
- They saw Mike Fontenot fumble a ground ball, which led to 2 unearned Padres runs.
- They saw Nick Hundley throw out Mr. Soriano on an attempted stolen base.
- They saw Carlos Marmol pitch 2 shutout innings, looking sharp.
- They saw the Padres’ starting pitcher, Mr. Correia strike out Fontenot and Soto, then walk Sam Fuld and give up a pinch hit 2 run homer to Reed Johnson.
- They saw Kevin Gregg pitch in the 5th and 6th.
- They saw Mr. Waddell pitch in the 6th and 7th, then get pulled by Lou and replaced by Angel Guzman. Mr. Guzman retired 6 in a row and got a hit himself.
- They saw and heard Fergie Jenkins reminisce with Lou and Bob prior to the retirement of his Cubs uniform #31 (shared with Greg Maddux), which will occur on May 3rd.
- They saw a “slug bunt” which Ryan Theriot played well.
- They saw and heard Bruce Miles discuss the Cubs spring training and upcoming season.
- They saw Micah Hoffpauir hit some long outs.
- They saw Andy White score on a high bouncing single by Esteban German.
- They saw Paul Bako look at strike 3 with 2 out and 2 on.
- They saw Kevin Hart hit the first batter he faced in the butt; hit the 2nd batter he faced in the back, then, following a double play, he gave up an RBI single and got the 3rd out with a fly out to right.
- They saw the Cubs win 5-3.
- They saw and heard Len interview Ryan Theriot.