Here were some notes to start off spring training on Friday.
Jeff Samardzija on Waddle & Silvy on Friday
- He cut a couple inches off his hair heading into spring training
- Expects to have a shot at competing for the rotation
- Has had to talk to veterans like Scott Eyre to adjust to the move from being a starter to a reliever
- Has trained as if he was a starter for this season
- The biggest thing he took away from last season was the incredible atmosphere around being on a winning team.
- Had high praise for the great coaching Larry Rothschild gives him.
- Was very high on the team chemistry that this ball club has going into the season.
- Insists that he has four pitches that he can throw, despite the fact that we never really saw much of the change from him last year.
Bruce Levine on Waddle & Silvy on Friday
- Marmol expects to win the closer role out of spring training.
- Said Samardzija needs a third pitch (Fastball & Splitter), despite the fact that Jeff mentioned he throws FOUR pitches. Later in the day he mentioned that endurance and experience are needed for him as well.
- Mentioned that Kerry Wood pitched the last few years with the same type of tear in his rotator cuff that Rich Harden has.
- Jake Peavy situation is still not being pursued.
- In response to Waddle’s worry that players are injury risks (Bradley, Harden and Soriano) and may derail the team, Bruce said he didn’t feel worried and that sometimes you have to roll the dice.