David Kaplan welcomed Tom Verducci, well know baseball writer, to the show to talk about baseball in the city of Chicago. Here were the highlights:
- Jake Peavy rumors remind him of the Brian Roberts rumors of last year; He doesn’t think he’s coming here.
- Verducci feels that the moves the Cubs have made this off-season seem to be risky. That being said, he still picks them to win the division.
- He mentioned that the problem with the Milton Bradley signing is that the Cubs need his bat badly and have to hope he stays healthy to be able to provide the offense they need. The season could hinge on his ability to stay healthy
- Kaplan didn’t like the fact that the Cubs picked up the option on Rich Harden and felt like he was hurt down the stretch. Verducci agreed that it did seem like something wasn’t right with Harden down the stretch but also mentioned that when we was on, he was very good.
- Kaplan suggested signing someone like Andy Pettite to round out the rotation. Verducci agreed it would be a good move, but also mentioned the Astros and Yankees for Pettite.
- Verducci mentioned that he wouldn’t be surprised at all if Rickey Henderson suited up for the A’s at some point this season.
- Ben Sheets was mentioned as a nice wild card for the Cubs (and other teams) to look into by Verducci. Kap mentioned that you can pitch Harden all out until he beaks and then throw sheets to finish the season.