On this lazy Saturday I wanted to summarize for you what we’ve done this off-season to date. On Monday, look for a post about who I feel will be on the 25 man roster come opening day. Tuesday we’ll take some time to compare the playoff roster from 2008 with my projected 2009 roster to see if we truly are better and more equipped to win the World Series in 2009. I hope so.
11/13 – Acquired Kevin Gregg from Florida in exchange for Jose Ceda
12/11 – Acquired David Patton from Cincinnati for Cash
12/31 – Acquired Jeff Stevens, Chris Archer and John Gaub from Cleveland in exchange to Mark DeRosa
1/6 – Acquired Luis Vizcaino from Colorado in exchange for Jason Marquis
1/18 – Acquired Garrett Olson and Henry Williamson from Baltimore in exchange for Felix Pie and his twisted testicles.
1/28 – Acquired Aaron Heilman from Seattle in exchange for Garrett Olson and Ronny Cedeno
- 11/18 – Signed Ryan Dempster to a four year contract worth $52M (2009 – $8M, 2010 – $12.5M, 2011 – $13.5M, 2012 – $14M with a player option to opt out)
- 12/3 – Signed Chad Fox to a minor league contract with an invitation to try to blow his arm out in Spring Training. Maybe then he’ll finally go away.
- 12/12 – Signed Chad Gaudin ($2M), Reed Johnson ($3M), and Neal Cotts ($1.1M) to one year contracts to avoid going to arbitration for salary negotiation.
- 12/16 – Signed Joey Gathright ($0.8M) to a one year contract
- 12/31 – Signed Aaron Miles to a two year contract worth $4.9M (2009 – $2.2M, 2010 – $2.7M)
- 1/5 – Signed Bill White to a minor league contract and invited him to spend his spring in Mesa with the big boys
- 1/8 – Signed Milton Bradley to a three year contract worth $30M with a $4M signing bonus (2009 – $5M, 2010 – $9M, 2011 – $12M with a possible club buyout of $2M based on how healthy he can remain)
- 1/14 – Signed Matt Smith and So Taguchi to minor league contracts and invited them to bask in the sun and check out the Arizona hotties at Ho Ho Kam Park
- 10/13 – Carmen Pignatiello sent outright to Triple-A
- 10/29 – Billy Petrick sent outright to Triple-A
- 10/29 – Waived Casey McGehee and lost him to Milwaukee
- 11/19 – Added Mitch Atkins, Justin Berg, and Marcos Mateo to the 40-Man Roster
- 1/20 – Sent cordial invitations with RSVP requested for Spring Training to Steve Clevenger, Wellington Castillo, Ed Campusano, J.R. Mathes, Doug Deeds, Andrew Cashner, Esmailin Caridad, Rocky Roquet, Darwin Barney, Bobby Scales, Jason DuBois, Luis Rivas, Mike Stanton, and new Japanese import Ken Kadokura.