Scouting Today’s Starting Pitchers
Ryan Dempster nearly notched his second complete game in three starts in his last outing. He went eight-plus innings against the White Sox, giving up one run on 10 hits for the win. The right-hander improved to 9-0 at home, and pitching on the South Side will be as close to home as he can get. Dempster has 10 quality starts this season, and is making the transition from closer to starter look very smooth. His game plan? Attack the hitters, and let his defense do the work.
Jose Contreras got lit up by the Cubs in the fourth inning Sunday. After allowing just one Cubs run to that point, Contreras got touched up for eight more via three home runs, four singles and a walk. It was Contreras’ third-straight loss and by far the worst start of the season for the right-hander. His ERA has risen more than a point since his last win, which came on June 5 against Kansas City. In five career starts against the Cubs, Contreras is 1-3 with a 6.39 ERA.
- Contreras brings an impressive arsenal highlighted by a hot dancing fastball and a wicked splitter. All his pitches have excellent movement.
- The great movement on his pitches can be a downside, in that he too often loses command and the strike-zone. Gets rattled, and then gets hit hard.
- Streaky mid-to-late rotation starter.
- 0-2, 10.80 in last 10 IP
- Pitch Usage – Fastball (56%), Other (18%), Slider (16%), Changeup (6%), Curveball (4%)
News & Notes
- Kevin Kreier pitched 6.0 scoreless innings
- Ryan Flaherty hit 2 extra-base hits
- Ryan Keedy was 3-for-3
- Luis Bautista hit 2 extra-base hits
- Micah Hoffpauir hit 2 extra-base hits
(AAA) – Iowa Cubs – Lost vs. Albuquerque (6-9)
(AA) – Tennessee Smokies – Won vs. West Tenn (11-5)
(High A) – Daytona Cubs – No Game
(A) – Peoria Chiefs – Won vs. Burlington (10-3)
(SS) – Boise Hawks – Won vs. Everett (10-1)
(RK) – Arizona Cubs – Lost vs. Brewers (7-11)
(RK) – Dominican Summer League Cubs – Lost vs. Reds (3-6)
View the full organizational report courtesy of First Inning here.