First Star – Jay Payton (.210)
Second Star – Geo Soto (.189)
Third Star – Jim Edmonds (.146)
Turd of the Game – Lance Cormier (-.207)
Ted Lilly look so so. It seems to me that this year he tends to pitch to the competition. When the Cubs get him runs, Lilly relaxes a little bit and isn’t as sharp. When he needs to allow very few, he’s gotten that done of late. I’m not OK with that when it comes to playoff time.
Jim Edmonds hit another home run and I’m slowly begining to fall in love with him. You always see other teams sign guys and find them resurrect their career, if only for a season, but never us. This year we may have found one in Edmonds.
Carlos Marmol had a positive outing yesterday. Does that have you encouraged or are you still apprehensive. I know I’m still nervous.
Eric Patterson in the leadoff spot didn’t work last night. Ideally, I’d like to see him in the # 2 spot, but with Fukudome in the leadoff spot, that would essentially mean Theriot is bumped to 8th. That seems like a waste of how hot Theriot has been this year.
Scouting Today’s Starting Pitchers
Radhames Liz worked through the second-shortest start of his career in his last outing, when he lasted just two-plus innings and gave up five earned runs. Liz has given up two home runs in each of his last two starts after not allowing any through his first two outings. The right-hander has gotten more than twice as many fly outs (28) as groundouts (12).
- His lanky frame, long arms and great stuff help him crank the ball into the upper 90′s. He also throws a curve, slider and change.
- He gives up far too many walks. For a pitcher with such a live arm, he also gets hit too much. His mechanics lead to wildness and might lead to arm trouble.
- A mid-rotation starter with ace stuff.
- 0-0, 9.72 in last 8.1 IP
- Pitch Usage – Fastball (71%), Slider (13%), Changeup (12%) Curveball (3%), Other (2%)
Jason Marquis is coming off a win against the White Sox. He gave up five runs on eight hits over seven innings last Saturday, and benefited from a nine-run fourth inning. He’s now won four in a row. Marquis also is 2-0 so far against American League teams. However, he doesn’t have much history against the Orioles. Marquis has totaled three innings against them over two games.
News & Notes
- Hung-Wen Chen only allowed one run in 6.0 innings pitched
- Rebel Ridling hit 2 extra-base hits
- Luis Bautista hit 2 extra-base hits
- Clifford Andersen was 3-for-4
- James Russell struck out 5 batters and only allowed 3 earned runs over 6.2 innings pitched yesterday
(AAA) – Iowa Cubs – No Game
(AA) – Tennessee Smokies – Won vs. West Tenn (6-3)
(High A) – Daytona Cubs – No Game
(A) – Peoria Chiefs – Won vs. Burlington (3-1)
(SS) – Boise Hawks – Won vs. Everett (4-3)
(RK) – Arizona Cubs – No Game
(RK) – Dominican Summer League Cubs – Won vs. Yankees (8-4)
View the full organizational report courtesy of First Inning here.