Carlos Zambrano did not get a decision in his last start against the Braves, and no coolers were injured as well. The right-hander gave up two runs on eight hits and three walks over seven-plus innings and struck out three in the game, which the Cubs rallied to win. Big Z has quite the reputation as a hitter. The Braves switched pitchers against Zambrano in the seventh when the Cubs had two on and two outs. He’s hitting .362.
Andy Sonnanstine picked up his seventh win of the season Friday night against the Marlins after allowing three runs on six hits in 5 1/3 innings worked. The right-hander is a master of deception, employing an array of pitches that he can throw from all different angles. But he has learned to primarily use his fastball to set up the other pitches. Sonnanstine will be making his first start against the Cubs.
- His somewhat quirky delivery from the right side poses problems for right-handed hitters. Induces a lot of ground balls and pitches with poise.
- Can only be effective if he pitches down in the zone, since his high fastball tends to get crushed over the fence. Must better neutralize lefty bats.
- A solid mid-rotation starter.
- 1-0, 4.50 in last 16 IP
- Pitch Types (Usage) – Fastball (57%), Slider (21%), Curveball (14%), Changeup (8%)
News & Notes
- Donald Veal pitched 7.0 scoreless innings
- Jake Fox hit 3 extra-base hits
- Diego Encarnacion pitched 5.0 scoreless innings
- Ryan Keedy was 3-for-4
- James Adduci was 3-for-4
- Marcus Hatley did not allow a run in 4 innings pitched
(AAA) – Iowa Cubs – Lost vs. New Orleans (3-11)
(AA) – Tennessee Smokies – Won vs. Mobile (13-0)
(High A) – Daytona Cubs – Lost vs. Palm Beach (7-8)
(A) – Peoria Chiefs – No Game
(SS) – Boise Hawks – Won vs. Eugene (6-5)
(RK) – Arizona Cubs open their season June 22nd
(RK) – Dominican Summer League Cubs – Lost vs. Rockies (1-5)
View the full organizational report courtesy of First Inning here.