If you haven’t had a chance to read the “State of Major League Baseball – 2008″ post on The Biz of Baseball, stop what you’re doing and go there right now. – (Source)
Peter Gammons mentions that the Indians are in the process of scouting eight teams in an effort to move C.C. Sabathia. The Cubs are on the list. Yeah Buddy!!!
Hank Steinbrenner is massively pissed off at his ace, Chen Ming Wang, getting injured while running the bases during the interleague play. His quotes had me wishing I could kick him in the groin. “My only message is simple. The National League needs to join the 21st century. They need to grow up and join the 21st century. Am I (mad) about it? Yes, I’ve got my pitchers running the bases, and one of them gets hurt. He’s going to be out. I don’t like that, and it’s about time they address it. That was a rule from the 1800s.” Seriously, Hank Steinbrenner is trying to be like his dad, which is fine as long as he actually has a clue what he’s talking about. This guy is a complete moron. – (Source)
Scott Kazmir – The 24-year-old left-hander took his first loss of the season on Wednesday against the Angels, ending a streak that saw him earn six wins in six consecutive starts. Kazmir moved up a spot in the rotation to take James Shields’ spot while Shields serves a six-game suspension from the Rays’ June 5 fracas against the Red Sox. Despite moving up in the rotation, Kazmir will be pitching on his regular day due to the off-day on Monday. Kazmir will be making his first career start against the Cubs.
- Boasts heat that tops out around 97 m.p.h, and he regularly pitches in the mid-90′s. Also has a great slider and emerging change-up. A strikeout artist.
- Has work to do on his command and endurance. His smallish frame is a concern, because of the risk of serious damage to his arm down the road.
- A potential staff ace with the stuff to dominate.
- 3-1, 1.88 in last 28.2 IP
- 70% of Kazmir’s pitches are fastballs and he throws first pitch fastball to 76% of hitters.
- Has three pitches (frequency) – Fastball (70%), Slider (19%), Changeup (10%)
News & Notes
- Marcos Perez only allowed one run in 6.0 innings pitched
- Melvin Camarena was 3-for-3
- Felix Pie hit 2 extra-base hits
- Tony Thomas was 2-for-5 with a double
(AAA) – Iowa Cubs – Won vs. Nashville (8-4) & Lost (1-3)
(AA) – Tennessee Smokies – No Game
(High A) – Daytona Cubs – Won vs. Palm Beach (6-5)
(A) – Peoria Chiefs – No Game
(SS) – Boise Hawks open their season June 17th
(RK) – Arizona Cubs open their season June 22nd
(RK) – Dominican Summer League Cubs – Lost vs. Reds (1-2)
View the full organizational report courtesy of First Inning here.