Ted Lilly will be back on a familiar mound when he starts the Interleague series finale against his former team. He pitched in Toronto from 2004-06, including a 15-win season in ’06. The lefty is coming off a win over the Atlanta Braves in which he gave up three runs on four hits over 6 2/3 innings. He fell behind, 3-0, in the first inning and escaped a jam in the second, but would ease some of manager Lou Piniella’s concerns if he could have a smoother start to his starts. Lilly did strike out eight for the second straight game.
Jesse Litsch has struggled some with his command over his past two starts, during which he’s gone 0-1 with a 4.76 ERA, yielding 20 hits over 11 1/3 innings. In his previous seven games, the 23-year-old went 5-0 with a 1.96 ERA. On Monday, Litsch struck out four, walked one and matched a season high by giving up 10 hits against the Mariners, but he got no decision after giving up just two runs over six innings. Litsch has never faced the Cubs.
- Has a decent sinking fastball, a bulldog mentality and loads of perseverance. Despite his relative youth, he’s a crafty right-hander.
- Is a little undersized and his fastball is mediocre. Doesn’t have a dominant strikeout pitch, so he relies heavily on his defense to get outs.
- A decent option to round out a starting rotation.
- 0-1, 4.77 in last 11.1 IP
News & Notes
- Kevin Kreier did not allow a run in 4 innings pitched
- James Russell did not allow a hit in 5 innings pitched
- Tyler Colvin was 2-for-4 with a double
- Sean Marshall allowed 2 runs in 5 innings pitched
- Edilmar Infante struck out 8 batters and only allowed 2 earned runs over 6.0 innings pitched
(AAA) – Iowa Cubs – Won vs. Nashville (5-4)
(AA) – Tennessee Smokies – Lost vs. Mississippi (1-2)
(High A) – Daytona Cubs – No Game
(A) – Peoria Chiefs – Won vs. Burlington (3-2)
(SS) – Boise Hawks open their season June 17th
(RK) – Arizona Cubs open their season June 22nd
(RK) – Dominican Summer League Cubs – Lost vs. Yankees (3-0)
View the full organizational report courtesy of First Inning here.