Sean Gallagher picked up his first big league win and decision in his second start, beating Pittsburgh, 7-4. The right-hander, who is the fifth youngest to start for the Cubs in the last 10 years, gave up one run on four hits and three walks over six innings. He benefited by the Cubs opening a 6-0 lead after two innings. He threw first-pitch strikes to 17 of the 24 batters he faced, which is a good ratio.
Shawn Chacon set the Major League record for most consecutive starts without a decision to start the season with his ninth in his last outing, but he needed help from the offense to get it. In his worst start of the season Chacon was raked for eight runs (five earned) on six hits and four walks in 3 1/3 innings against the Rangers. The right-hander said he didn’t have good command of any of his pitches and that lack of control cost him dearly as he allowed a pair of homers to Josh Hamilton.
- His mid-90′s heat mixed with a slider and change-up help him be particularly tough on right-handed hitters. Shows some pretty good poise with runners on.
- Has to watch his tendency to leave the ball up in the zone because he gets hammered when the ball hangs. Can get very wild and lose his focus.
- A back-of-the-rotation starter or long reliever.
- 0-0, 6.75 in last 9.1IP
News & Notes
- Romeo Must Die release
- Luis Bautista hit 2 extra-base hits
- Casey McGehee hit 2 extra-base hits
- Koyie Hill hit 2 extra-base hits
- Jeff Samardzija allowed 6 runs in 5 innings pitched
- Nate Spears hit 2 doubles
- Randy Wells allowed one run in 5 innings pitched
- Felix Pie was 1-for-2 with a home run
- Eric Patterson was 2-for-4 with a double
(AAA) – Iowa Cubs – Won vs. Omaha (8-2)
(AA) – Tennessee Smokies – Lost vs. Mississippi (4-8)
(High A) – Daytona Cubs – Lost vs. Clearwater (3-9)
(A) – Peoria Chiefs – Won vs Quad Cities (10-6)
(SS) – Boise Hawks open their season June 17th
(RK) – Arizona Cubs open their season June 22nd
View the full organizational report courtesy of First Inning here.