Rich Hill was skipped in the rotation to give him extra time for side work, to keep the other starters on a five-day rotation, and to avoid having him face the Brewers. The Cubs want the lefty to be aggressive in his approach, and he’s shown improvement. He won his only start against the Cardinals last season, giving up one run in seven innings. Hill did spend some time in the bullpen as a backup this week in case of emergency
Adam Wainwright is the undisputed ace of the Cardinals staff until Chris Carpenter returns. That means, among other things, that he’s being worked hard. He’s been extremely effective thus far, but he’s already been pushed pretty hard twice this year. Wainwright receives an extra day of rest thanks to an off day, but it will be interesting to see how he recovers from a career-high 126-pitch outing.
- Has good, sinking heat that can hit 93 m.p.h., as well as a great overhand curve ball, decent change-up and slider. Is nasty against righty batters.
- Doesn’t always have great command of his breaking stuff, which gets him into trouble. Left-handed hitters paste him, so he needs to improve his change-up.
- A quality mid-rotation starter.
View the stat preview from Baseball Reference here
All Scouting Information taken from MLB.com and TSN.ca
Tracked Player Results
- Donald Veal pitched 7.0 scoreless innings
- Jonathan Wyatt was 3-for-5
- Mark Reed was 3-for-3
- Bobby Scales hit 2 extra-base hits
(AAA) – Iowa Cubs – Lost vs. Fresno (5-8)
(AA) – Tennessee Smokies – Won vs. Jacksonville (6-0)
(High A) – Daytona Cubs – Lost vs. St. Lucie (3-7)
(A) – Peoria Chiefs – No Game
(SS) – Boise Hawks open their season June 17th
(RK) – Arizona Cubs open their season June 22nd
View the full organizational report courtesy of First Inning here.