Jason Marquis – Making his first start in a week, Marquis held the Phillies to two runs on four hits over five innings. The right-hander had been sidelined with strep throat, and skipped one start. He pitched well, although he did walk five.
Tom Gorzelanny – Gorzelanny silenced the rumors about possible shoulder problems with a solid outing in his last start on Sunday against the Reds. Coming off back-to-back ineffective outings, the southpaw hurled 6 1/3 innings and gave up just one run on four hits. He evened his record at 1-1 as the Pirates defeated the Reds, 9-1. The key for Gorzelanny was his command as he pounded the strike zone.
- Can rear back and boost his low-90′s, darting heat to 95 m.p.h. when needed. Has a nasty slider and good change-up. Works well with runners on.
- Needs to avoid the big inning in order to fully blossom as a starting pitcher. Could still use work on his stamina and ability to throw first-pitch strikes.
- A good No. 2 starter.
View the stat preview from Baseball Reference here
All Scouting Information taken from MLB.com and TSN.ca
News and Notes
- JR Mathes only allowed one run in 6.0 innings pitched
- Josh Vitters hit 3 extra-base hits
- Ty Wright was 3-for-4
- Joseph Simokaitis hit 2 extra-base hits
Tracked Player Results
(AAA) – Iowa Cubs – Won against New Orleans (5-2)
(AA) – Tennessee Smokies – Lost to Montgomery (5-8)
(High A) – Daytona Cubs – Lost to Brevard County (3-8)
(A) – Peoria Chiefs – Lost to Great Lakes (4-7)
(SS) – Boise Hawks open their season June 17th
(RK) – Arizona Cubs open their season June 22nd
View the full organizational report courtesy of First Inning here.