- Sean Gallagher pitched two innings of work in the spring opener against the Giants and struck out two hitters while giving up a run. He continues to be mentioned as one of the players coveted by the Orioles for a deal that would bring Brian Roberts over. My guess is that he’s going to be the focal point of the deal, with Ronny Cedeno and one of Donald Veal or Jose Ceda.
- Casey McGehee is off to a nice start with three hits in the first two spring games. He’s hitting .750 on in four at bats and has a pair of RBI.
- Jose Ceda got off to a bad start in two-thirds of an inning, walking two and allowing two hits and two earned runs.
- The Cubs signed Cesar Salazar and released Victor Liriano.
- Oft-injured right hander Angel Guzman, who had Tommy John surgery in 2007, won’t be back on the mound until the final two months of the season at the earliest. Guzman had a 3.56 ERA in 30 innings last year for the Cubs, making all but three of his 12 appearances out of the bullpen. He also had 26 strikeouts and nine walks in his big league stint. (Baseball America)
- Inside the Ivy has a video of Tyler Colvin taking batting practice:
- Cedeno has been experiencing some tenderness in his right elbow. It’s not major though. The fact that he plays baseball year round could have something to it.