|Game Time||Television||2006 Cubs||2006 Dodgers||Series|
|10:10 EDT||Comcast||8-5||7-8||Tied 1-1|
Scouting Report on Brad Penny
Penny may be the most consistent starter out the gate for the Dodgers this season, giving up just one run apiece in each of his first two outings. He’s struck out 14 and walked just one batter over his first two starts, and went seven innings in his last start at Philadelphia on April 9. (MLB.com)
Penny is pure power, relying mostly on a four-seam fastball that registers regularly in the mid-90s. He also throws a sinking two-seamer in the 92-MPH range and a power curveball that buckles knees. A changeup was rumored, but it never appeared in Chavez Ravine. His command has improved as he has matured, and when Penny is painting the black with his fastball, opposing hitters are in for a long day. He does not appear to be in the best of shape, however, so he can wear down as his pitch count rises.
Penny does not get off the mound very well and can get a bit flustered on the tougher plays. His move is poor, and he takes a while to unleash the pitch. After banging out four extra-base hits for Florida the previous season, Penny went just 3-for-51 last year, but he looks relatively comfortable with a bat in his hands. However, he laid down just one successful sacrifice all year. (Fox Sports)
- Baker says it’s time to extend Maddux contract
- Mark Pawelek, the Cubs top draft pick in 2005 is set to start his season in Peoria. That is a great thing to go see if you get a chance.
- The Cubs rank 16th in the NL in team walks with 33. Cincinnati leads the NL with 69.
- On a positive, the Cubs rank 5th in pitches seen per plate appearance with 4 out of the top 5 teams coming from the NL Central.
- The Cubs pitching staff owns the 2nd best ERA in the NL behind the NY Mets
- Juan Pierre and Aramis Ramirez have hit well against Penny. Todd Walker has not. Since he “struggled” last night, watch out for a Jerry Hairston sighting today at 2b.
- Eric Patterson – Went 2 for 5 and is hitting .348 in AA
- Scott Moore – Went 3 for 4 with a double and is hitting .302 in AA
- Sean Gallagher – Went 7 innings giving up 3 hits and 1 ER while striking out 10 in High A
Over / Under
90 pitches for Sean Marshall again