Game 12 Preview: Cubs @ Dodgers
Ah, a fresh new look to the pitching probables table. Let me know if you like this better. Also, if there is something else you’d like to see each game to help you in your effort to get ready, please don’t hesitate to let me know and I’ll see what I can do. On the new table, the link to the players name takes you to their ESPN page where you can view their career stats, salary, and a host of other info. The compare link takes you to how that pitcher has fared against the opposing team in his career. Enjoy.
Scouting Report on Brett Tomko
Given a 3-0 lead after three innings in Pittsburgh, Tomko allowed three home runs and lasted only five innings. Not what the Dodgers were hoping for when they signed him to pick up Jeff Weaver’s innings. He’s already allowed five home runs in 11 innings compared to 20 last year in 190 2/3 innings. ~ MLB.com
With an explosive fastball, slider, changeup and curveball, Tomko was the team’s best pitcher the final two months of the season, with all due respect to Schmidt. Tomko was awful in April, however, and was booed several times after leaving games at SBC Park. He really didn’t get his act together until returning from a short stint on the disabled list after injuring his right elbow. He went 10-3 the rest of the season. Several teams have longed for Tomko to put it all together, but he bounced from team to team each season, with the Giants being his fourth stop in four years.
Tomko isn’t considered a good fielder or hitter. He has cut down on giving up homers and induces more groundballs, allowing him to make more plays in the field, but he committed a pair of errors last season. He can be run on, though he has worked on a slide step. Last season he hit .113 with no RBI. He did have 13 sacrifice bunts, tying Jason Schmidt for the team lead among pitchers. ~ Fox Sports
- David Aardsma is wearing number 54
- The Cubs bullpen has an ERA of 3.11 and is 2nd in the majors in that category. What a difference a year makes.
- The Cubs lead the National League with a .313 batting average with runners on base.
- Todd Walker is one HR away from 100 for his career
- Greg Maddux is 5-5 lifetime at Dodger stadium with a 3.36 ERA in 14 starts.
- John Mabry is available to pinch hit in tonight’s game.
- Jacque Jones will get the start in RF tonight. It will be the first start since injuring his hamstring almost a week ago.
- Jerry Hairston Jr. is currently on a 6 game hitting streak.
- Dusty Baker and the rest of the 1981 Dodgers will be honored in a ceremony tonight before the game.
- ESPN is reporting that Kerry Wood will join the Cubs for a bullpen session tonight in LA. It’s uncertain if he’ll make a rehab start or two before returning to the rotation hopefully before the end of the month.
- Tim Kurkjian has a good article denoting the secret to Maddux success.
- Eric Patterson went 4 for 5 yesterday with 3 runs scored and 1 RBI on two singles, a double, and a triple. He’s hitting .333 on the year in AA.
- Chris Kelly (1b) went 3 for 4 with two HR in High A ball
- Ryan Norwood (DH) went 4 for 4 with two RBI and a run scored in Low A ball.
Over / Under
With Brett Tomko being a pitcher who can be ran on, I’m setting the over under today at 3.5 steals against the Dodgers in todays contest.