As the Cubs entered a series in Colorado, where scores at times are in double digits, the bats looked very promising in the early going. We scattered a few hits, and had a 5 run inning. Then, the offense decided to leave the building quicker than Elvis Presley himself, not scoring again in the game. This is worrisome to me. The addition of Nomar is supposed to help our offense put up the runs we need. Five runs in Coors field isn’t enough. That translates to like three runs somewhere else. This team should be able to put more runs on the board consistently if we expect to get to the post season. I really believe the reason this team has yet to really catch fire is because of the batting order that Dusty keeps trotting out there. We need to get Patterson out of the leadoff spot. The lineup should be as follows.
1. Todd Walker – Makes good contact, takes pitches, and is better than Grudzielanek with the bat.
2. Nomar Garciaparra – Swings at the first pitch, but makes great contact. With no speed before him, his early swinging won’t be a problem.
3. Sammy Sosa – Most power on the team. This is his spot, and he doesn’t like batting anywhere else.
4. Aramis Ramirez – Cleanup should be your RBI guy. Who better for this role than A-RAM? Alou? I think not!!!
5. Derrek Lee – Better hitter than Alou, who is in the waning stages of his career and should be treated that way.
6. Moises Alou – If Corey didn’t strike out as much, I would put him here. Instead, Alou gets # 6 spot
7. Corey Patterson – Even though Barrett hits for a higher Avg, Corey’s speed would be wasted in the # 8 spot. Give him a chance to run here with Barrett behind him.
8. Michael Barrett – Needs to focus on letting Corey run, and making contact.
By using this lineup, it puts us in the best possible position to put up more runs. Let me know what you guys think though.
A great link suggestion:
Recently, a reader commented on a post and suggested the following link: The First Baseball Game. I have to admit that I watched it and laughed pretty hard. I recommend it, especially if you’ve had a hard day. It will put a smile on your face. Thanks to the reader for suggesting it.