Buddy’s Best – Dunston…Shawon Dunston
While it seems like only yesterday, it was actually 1982 when the Cubs drafted Shawon Dunston in the first round. The stories about his quick bat and crazy athleticism were legendary. I was only 13 when Dunston was selected, but even then my friends and I were talking future hall of famer.
Well, a funny thing happened on the way to Cooperstown. The Cubs flashy but erratic shortstop never became the five-tool player many of us expected. His quick bat was far too fond of pitches out of the strike zone. His cannon arm delivered far too many throws in the dirt. His speed and quickness led to far too many outs on the bases.
So you’re probably thinking that I disliked Dunston as a ballplayer. That is far from the truth. Even though he never turned into a star, the Shawon-O-Meter rose and fell for 18 Major League seasons. He was fun to watch, even when he drove me crazy. Still one of my all-time favorite Cubs!
And now for a quick recap of VFTB comments and highlights from the last week, starting with one of the many Dunston posts:
- Grace always complained about his hand hurting after catching Shawon’s throws.
- My favorites are Hawk, Ryno, Maddux, Dunston, D-Lee, Aramis, anyone named Wood or Johnson, Big Z, and the entire 2016 roster.
- I actually despised Sammy Sosa.
- My all time favorite player is Ron Guidry.
- Liz Soto has a nice ring to it…for shame.
- Happy with either Yu or Jake. What I will not be happy with is the rumored deal for Machado.
- It looks like Morrow will be our closer.
- If everything was equal I would take Arrieta because he has low mileage on him and is a known commodity.
- My least favorite Cub was Larry Himes, he was the only person who almost had me giving up on being a Cubs fan.
- That was the Cubs, they might have been in last place but the fans would find something to cheer about.
Question of the week…If the Cubs don’t sign Darvish, Arrieta, or Cobb, what would you like them to do to fill that open spot in their rotation?