- Lizzie = A funny, timely, and/or interesting quote made on the VFTB site by our writers or commenters.
- Lizard = The best Lizzie.
- MVL = Most Valuable Lizzie’ers: Those with the most Lizzies in the period under review (usually the past two weeks.)
- Top 10 of the 2017 Season = The folks with the most aggregate Lizzie points YTD (1 point for every Lizzie, 3 points for every Lizard.)
As you already know, this is all completely subjective and according to my whims.
- Schwarber has become a mystery to me. I like him, but can’t figure out what’s going on with him or what to do with him. I think he belongs in the American League.
- The American Legion? That’s pretty dramatic.
- Actually, an American Legion TEAM could use Schwarber, but I think the age limit is 19….
- Schwarber’s 2 garbage time home runs were just that. Didn’t stop Len and JD from falling all over themselves talking about the beautiful swing and amazing power. Horrible corporate line. The guy was completely lost the 3 prior at bats, and they can’t say squat about that. Who do they think they are fooling? Maybe Joe’s Ipad watches CSN.
- Quality AB’s in garbage time are nice but there will not be much garbage time in the playoffs.
- I guess my name in a Lizzie kinda counts right?
- I’d like to see less Jekyll & Hyde.
- I’m dating myself, but they remind me more of Heckle and Jeckle
- Just before I asked how the relationship was going, I clued in
- I just saw tonight’s line up, and with the exception of Penne Rivera (yes, CAPS, it’s a pasta joke) it looks like we could have made out that line up card! I’m not sure, but I think Joe Maddon is scared of Karen Hirsch.
- I’m scared of Karen Hirsch.
- Who isn’t? We’d all be on a bus out of town.
- Lizzie- we need a magic number for Sherm. How many Lizzie’s back am I from Sherm? Do I have a chance of catching him or am I mathematically eliminated. Donna called and wants to know.
- Save your breath. You’re never going to catch him this late in the season.
- That Sherm fellow must be using the steroids or something. He can’t possibly be THAT much more cleverer than my son, the Doctor. Well, you know what I mean. Kinda doctor. Sign my petition. Test Sherm.
- I’m thinking there is an inadvertent East coast bias here. By the time I read most of the comments I would like to answer with funny stuff, someone that sees the sun before I do has already done so.
- If it was important enough to you, you would get up before everyone and get the Lizzie’s. Sounds to me like a priority issue. Hmm… let’s see … do I get my rest so I can save that guys life tomorrow or do I impress those VFTB doofuses with my uncommon wit? Seems like an obvious choice to me.
- I’ll say this – if they’ve waited until now to kick it into gear…but start playing great? I can live with that.
- I saw yesterday that the coaching staff had the team out early – for the second day in a row – to work on basic infield fundamentals, and baserunning strategy. Obviously, they read this blog.
- I noticed last year that Hendricks always got the “B-team lineup,” and Maddon would rest normal starters. The irony is that this year the B-team is a lot better than the so called “A-team.”
- Hendricks is looking like the Cy Young pitcher he was last year, this is great timing.
- There’s no way Lackey should be anywhere near a playoff rotation this year.
- He seems like a hot pot, ready to boil over.
- That’s the trouble with him – you never know who’s gonna show up on game day.
- Hard to say don’t pitch him in an important game just because he’s a prick, or unattractive.
- I’ll get you up to speed: New Dad, New Job, New House! Now that we have caught up, let’s talk Cubbies!
- I pulled something in my arm reaching for the 10th beer in that 0-12 drubbing.
- Do we have a bullpen guy you can really count on that doesn’t walk the first batter of the inning every time out?
- its going to be impossible to look away this month, whatever happens. It may be painful. It may be joyful. But it is a great time to be a Cubs fan.
- Overall, the theme of the year has been Consistently Inconsistent. For a time they’ll look like a juggernaut that could beat all comers…and then out of the blue, they turn into a 5-and-under tee-ball team without a tee and no idea what to do. Sometimes for an inning, sometimes for a game, sometimes for a whole week.
- I think Arietta is struggling with age more than fatigue. His career numbers are not what 2015 and 16 were. Heyward is just not a good hitter. Average at best, way below average when he’s not at his best. Russell is hurt. Lester and Lackey are aging. Rondon and Strop have lost whatever they had. The guys that should be playing aren’t playing and the ones that shouldn’t be are, so we don’t know what the team could be doing. I don’t agree with the fatigue idea. I’d say it’s mostly young players not realizing what it takes to be competitive day in and day out. Too much goofing off – not enough work.
- I recommend the Pirates Radio feed tonight. They are talking about ROberto Clemente becuase it is Roberto Clemente day. Roberto Clemente stories are much more interesting than anything Len has ever talked about.
- Despite just winning a World Series (people forget that), there is still that ominous feeling surrounding this team. I know all my doubts were supposed to be lifted with the trophy over Theo’s head, but that Cub fan feeling hangs over this season just a little more than I expected it would.
- Today, I am going to concede that Kyle Schwarber will not hit 83 home runs in the 2017 season.
- This has become a very complainy website it is getting kind of annoying to me, but like many bad habits I can’t seem to give it up.
- Does your spreadsheet complain? Is your spreadsheet happy? I think that is the most important thing.
- Well…this was not the best week.
- I tried really hard to stay optimistic this weekend, as Dork prescribed, but I think the Brewers beat the optimism out of me.
- OK, I’m officially nervous.
- We have 4 more games verse the Brewers and we have 7 more games verse the Cardinals and we scored a total of 2 runs in 3 games verse the Brewers. What’s to be nervous about?
- The Magic Number does not mean anything until it is down to one digit, and only one digit 0. Until then you need to win every game you play.
- Which then brings us to the real question; is zero a number, or simply a concept that represents the absence of numbers?
- Great question. Let’s use an example. If i have 0 beers, then I am in the absence of beers. And that’s just unacceptable. I accept your hypothesis.
- Ah….great point…..but let me propose this: I have an infinite amount of beers therefore I have zero need for beer ever again. Highly acceptable…….
- Magic number 17 with 18 to play. That doesn’t feel very magical to me.
- This team has the talent to make a special run. The question is: Do they have it in them?
- Big shout outs to Ben and Momma Raker for their first 2017 In-Season Lizzies!!!! Thanks for being here!
- Congratulations to Doc Raker and (tied) Eddie von White and Sherm, our Most Valuable Lizzie-ers this time around! Thank you all for everything you contribute here!
Top 10 of the 2017 Season
(one point for each Lizzie, three points for the Lizard)
2. Doc Raker
3. cap’n realist
4. Eddie von White
5. Doug S.
7. Michael Stevens
8. Adam Peters
9. Jerry in Wisconsin
- I’ll use Jeff’s inquisitive Lizard as the basis of our chat this week. “This team has the talent to make a special run. The question is: Do they have it in them?” I am a glass-half-full kind of gal. Maybe even 3/4 full. I’ve been told it’s nauseating at times. But (sorry Dork) I do not feel they have it in them despite their extraordinary potential. Last week, I briefly felt they were clicking, certainly less frustrating to watch. They quickly negated that, and I now feel they will be moving into their winter homes on October 2. I truly hope they negate this too! What say you?