What’s new in Cubs’ news?
Obviously there was no game Tuesday night, but that is ok because I think the city of Chicago needed a small break after all the emotions of Monday night. The banner raising, trophy showing and walk-off winning is more than enough for a couple nights. So what else were the Cubs up to on their “off” day?
- Javier Baez got his own street sign in Humboldt Park; close to Little Cubs Field. It reads Javier ‘Javy’ Baez Way; see the tweet from the Cubs.
- Kris Bryant took BP in downtown Chicago the video shows him taking his cuts and hitting some into the river where a fan was in a kayak.
- Kyle Schwarber signed autographs at Macy’s on State St. in Chicago.
- Jon Lester tweeted out a thank you to the fans for braving the almost 2 hour delay and elements for the home opener.
I think it is really cool how endearing this team has become to the fan base and I love that they spend their off days (which they don’t have much of) interacting and doing things for the fans. There isn’t a single guy on the team that I have any problem rooting for (even John Lackey).
A quick look at the (way to early to really matter) Fangraphs’ Cool Standings Page:
- Cubs are on pace for 97 wins
- 91.1% chance to win the division with a 6.3% chance of winning the Wild Card
- Total of 97.4% of making the playoffs
- 29% chance to win the NLCS
- 15.5% chance to win the World Series again (tied with the Dodgers for highest)
This team is good and has the depth to weather a few injuries and still be good, it is such a weird feeling as a fan to first of all have the Cubs be the reigning World Series Champions and on top of that to still have sky-high expectations for this season. They could win it all again and it really would not shock the baseball world. Buckle up for what is going to be another fun season at Wrigley.