Game 3 Notes: Cubs 6 @ Cardinals 4
The Cubs battled back from an early hole and won today to take the opening series with the Cardinals by a score of 6-4 today.
- I liked how John Lackey battled through a long and mistake riddled 1st inning without his good stuff. If you told me he was going to get through 6 innings today after the 1st inning, I would have laughed at you and said nah.
- The go ahead Kyle Schwarber HR only adds to the legend he is becoming, what a shot. It left the bat at over 112 MPH and went 400 FT to RF. It was his first regular season HR since September 12, 2015; first of many to come, I might add.
- Rumors of the demise of Hector Rondon have been greatly exaggerated as he came in for the 7th inning pitched a 7-pitch perfect inning. Maybe preseason baseball results really don’t matter.
- Carl Edwards Jr. finally coming into the game in a very high leverage situation (after Strop walked 1 and allowed another to reach on an err0r) and getting the job done. He struck out 2 to finish out the 8th with the Cubs still in possession of the lead.
- Jason Heyward had 2 more hits today, he may do something he has never done and have a good month of April (a career .225 hitter in March and April)
- Addison Russell did a good job knocking in a couple runs today in situations that just required contact. He had 95 RBI last year and I wouldn’t be surprised to see him surpass that into the 100 RBI club if he keeps going this way.
- I’m not always in love with Joe Maddon‘s in game decision making, for instance today he had Pedro Strop come into his 3rd game of the year so far when Justin Grimm has yet to make an appearance.
- Ben Zobrist playing 2nd instead of Javier Baez isn’t one of my favorite things. Zobrist had a tough first inning that help lead to most of the damage the Cardinals did in it. It is easy to say well there is no guarantee Baez would have made those plays, but I think the evidence suggests otherwise.
- I know Zobrist has to play and where else are you going to put him really with the OF also crowded, but still his lack of Javier-like ability at 2nd led to some trouble today.
- Who would have guessed that John Lackey would have 2 more hits than Kris Bryant does so far? I will say that today was probably one of his better looking games with a hard line out to CF and a walk, but overall it has been a quiet 3 games so far for the MVP.
- Wade Davis was a little shaky in the 9th and I have to say that his forearm issues from last season continue to pop into my head, hopefully he can finish the year healthy and successful.
Really bad things:
- The clear and blatant cheating that Yadi Molina is apparently doing behind the plate was pretty terrible. If you didn’t see it, he dropped to his knees to block a wild pitch on a 3rd strike to Matt Szczur and instead of it bouncing off it stuck to the front of his chest protector. (Video below)
- I would imagine this is due to pine tar or some other substance, but it is clear to me that he probably has that on his chest protector to help get a better grip on the ball for his pitchers. Seems like it would have been a good time for Joe Maddon to come out and ask about it, but maybe the Cubs do it too.
- I think it really just bothers me the most because it is Molina and the Cards.