Cardinals 5, Cubs 6 – Game Notes
MVP – Welington Castillo (.220 WPA)
- Ryan Sweeney, was was injured in the game, is scheduled to have an MRI to take a look at what the damage is. That puts the Cubs yet another man short on the bench due to the injury and the asinine eight man bullpen. Words can’t describe how moronic I think that is. Carrie Muskat wrote in her blog that when Jake Arrieta is recalled from the DL today to make his start, the Cubs are expected to keep 13 pitchers as part of the staff. Chris Coghlan is scheduled to come up from AAA to replace Sweeney.
- Adam Wainwright saw his 25 inning scoreless streak broken in the first when the Cubs jumped out to an early lead.
- Starlin Castro committed his 4th error of the season. For those playing along at home in the question of if Castro’s home run total would be more or less than his error total, the score is now tied at four.
- Anthony Rizzo has been hitting really well this week. It’s very encouraging to see both him and Castro rebound this year.
- I missed this note the other day, but C.J. Edwards has been placed on the DL with AA Tennessee with some fatigue and inflammation in his pitching arm. I’m not worried about this one, but I am still not convinced that Edwards will be able to last as a starting pitcher.
What’s On Tap