Game 158 – Welp, So Much for That.
Cubs 1, Cardinals 2
What Went Right:
- The First Three Pitchers: Lopez pitched a stellar 6 innings, giving up zero runs on 4 hits. Cashner threw a scoreless frame, as did Marshall. It’s nice to see our pitching come together like that. I’ve covered Lopez’ last 2 starts, and he’s been pleasantly surprising by keeping his opponents on a short leash. Hopefully Cash will be a solid rotation guy for us next season (and stay un-injured).
- Defense: There were three plays that stood out from this game – Marlon Byrd’s diving catch to rob Skip Schumaker of a base hit, Pena’s awesome stop at 1st base in the 4th, and Soriano’s rocket throw to third to snag Holiday. Soriano is by no means a great outfielder, but that throw was spectacular.
- Soriano’s Bat: He had our only RBI today. He was the hero last night. Way to show up 100 games too late.
What Went Wrong:
- Marmol: Carlos Marmol has never been so infuriating as he was today. HE WAS SO TERRIBLE! If a pitcher gives up a hit and proceeds to walk the next 2 batters, TAKE HIM OUT!! It’s only natural for him to walk in the tying run, then throw a wild pitch to lose the game. Obviously.
- Quade made some bad decisions today.
- I’m not going to complain about DeWitt today. He was not productive, and he was not that great at third, but he was not directly detrimental to the team. So for that, I will give him a pass.
- Castro is everyone’s favorite Cub.
- Every time Soto was up to bat, I couldn’t help but wonder why Lizzie finds him so attractive. To each her own, Lizzie! 🙂
Today’s game was a decent summary of what the season has been for the Cubs. Disappointing. As much as I love the Boys of Summer, summer is over, and today put the nail in the coffin for that realization. The game looked good for the first 8 innings; my hopes were high for a win! But Marmol blew it. It’s time to rebuild. We’re a step in the right direction.
Stars of the Game
Base on Win Probability Added (WPA)
1st Star – Ryan Theriot (.391 WPA)
2nd Star – Rodrigo Lopez (.381 WPA)
3rd Star – Adron Chambers (.346 WPA)