Much like smoke signals a fire, the cooler weather means fall is upon us. To baseball fanatics, this grounds them to the reality that their team will either be one of the eight “elite” heading to the playoffs, or among the others that are going home for a long, cold winter. We all know where this Cubs team falls, so there’s no need to touch on that. Instead, let’s take a look back at this week in review at VFTB.
- Colvin brought his average up with 2 hits and Campana got the start in center (even though he has Aunt Mable’s arm).
- By the way, does anyone else see LaHair’s career arc and think about Micah Hoffpauir? I sure do…
- When they score 12 or more, they’re pretty good. That should be on a t-shirt for next year.
- Starlin Castro actually walked! However, it was against Dontrelle Willis, so it probably shouldn’t count.
- Len Kasper spent what felt like forever giving us the heights and weights of Reds’ players. Maybe tomorrow he’ll tell us the color of their eyes.
- No $100M contracts to anyone this offseason. Rebuild, rebuild, youth, youth, get money off the books, get money off the books then fill your hole. Not your pie hole either.
- Watched the Sunday night game on ESPN Deportes…in Spanish. I thought it was last year and Joe Morgan was having a stroke on air.
- The Reds broadcasters were commenting on how they were surprised Tyler Colvin wasn’t in the line up with his 4 HR’s off of Leake. That’s bad when the opposing broadcasters understand your foolishness.
- The Reds broadcasters also commented on allowing Dempster to hit late in the game. Maybe Quade is mentally fatigued from this season of hell. I know I am.
- Yeah let’s blow out Dempster’s shoulder/elbow. Both to try to get him 200 IP…a meaningless stat in a meaningless season. Bye Quade, don’t let the door hit you where the good lord split you.
- Reds reliever Sam Lecure’s mustache was fantastic…a real thing of beauty.
- The secrets of hitting with runners on base is as mysterious to this Cubs team as the mechanics of time travel, the meaning of the Sphinx, and the Colonel’s eleven secret herbs and spices.
- Vogelbach is going to weigh nine hundred and seventy three pounds by the time he is ready for the league…and that is before Unos and Old Style.
- Vogelbach has John Kruk’s body before he has any of John Kruk’s accomplishments…I’m not holding my breath.
- From what I remember, Quade was a fine third base coach – he’s a horri-awful manager.
Top Wizzie Contributors
Eddie Von White-7
Poll of the Week
How do you feel about the end of the 2011 season?
a) Good riddance. Bring on the football.
b) Glad to see it go, but going to miss baseball.
c) Look forward to watching the other teams in the playoffs.
d) Wish this season could last forever (haha…)