Game 66 – Come From Behind Surprise
Cubs 5, Brewers 4
Let’s break with orthodoxy here – the Cubs won this game inexplicably. Down 4-1 late in the game Mike Quade got tossed for arguing balls and strikes. Way to show some moxy Mike! Despite the win and last minute heroics this team needs to be broken up.
There’s no way to make this franchise look pretty – all of the older players must be traded. This is a team of losers and I only watch them when I have to. So what needs to be done? I propose the following acts which should happen no later than the All Star Game. What I recommend is as follows:
- Immediate dismissal of Crane Kenney and Jim Hendry.
- Takeover of said functions by Tom Ricketts.
- Trade immediately if possible: Pena, Ramirez, Soriano, Fukudome, Byrd, Johnson, Marshall, Wood, Dewitt – anybody of value except the youngest players.
- Rebuild the minor leagues, trade guys that aren’t panning out, promote guys that are.
- Put Quade on an “improve or be fired” program with a one year objective, he’s not putting the right lineup card in, playing guys like DeWitt in left field instead of Campana.
I’m not going to try to make music out of sour milk, it’s time for a change.
Stars of the Game
Based on Win Probability Added (WPA)
1st Star – Yovani Gallardo (.323 WPA)
2nd Star – Aramis Ramirez (.321 WPA)
3rd Star – Starlin Castro (.233 WPA)
Cubs Hitting: +.292 WPA
Cubs Pitching: +.208 WPA